Exploring the Possibility of Velocity Beyond c

• Thread starter Omega0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: CMB) is at rest in these coordinates.In summary, in curved space-time, there is no speed limit between objects separated by some distance. The speed of light limitation is only a limitation at a single point. This is because in General Relativity, there is no single definition of relative speed at different points. There are many possible choices and no way to say which is better. This makes it impossible to answer the question of when there was a possible velocity between point A and B greater than the speed of light. Additionally, comoving coordinates do not work the same way as inertial coordinates in Special Relativity, and it is impossible to directly measure the speed of a faraway object when spacetime
Chronos said:
How would you propose to detect tachyonz?
Gravity ;)

Imho, I'm not confident enough in particle physics to give an intelligent answer to this.

Space news on Phys.org
timmdeeg said:
Their calculation is based on the assumption that the expansion occurs "at all scales", thus obviously including the solar system.

Not really. Their calculation assumes that the effect of the expansion would have to show up as "external forces" (see below). It completely ignores the fact that, if the solar system were expanding at the rate of the universe as a whole--i.e., if the sun and each of the planets were moving on "comoving" worldlines--it would have had to double in size, more or less, over the past 4.5 billion years. Clearly the solar system has not actually expanded by such a factor, or by anything within orders of magnitude of such a factor. So clearly the individual objects in the solar system cannot all be moving on "comoving" worldlines, or anything close to it.

But the assumption that the expansion occurs "at all scales", if made consistently, would force us to assume that the individual objects in the solar system are moving on "comoving" worldlines--that's what "expansion" in this sense means. Cooperstock et al. are clearly not assuming that, or anything close to it, by many orders of magnitude. So, regardless of what they say, they are clearly not assuming that "expansion occurs at all scales" in the relevant sense.

timmdeeg said:
They don't mention tidal forces at all and presumably their assumption is not related to tidal forces

Actually, it is. See below.

timmdeeg said:
On the other side they mention "external forced"; what is the meaning, if not tidal forces.

The "external forces" are tidal forces. Basically they are trying to compute the tidal forces induced by the rest of the matter in the universe on the solar system.

PeterDonis said:
Not really. Their calculation assumes that the effect of the expansion would have to show up as "external forces" (see below).
Ok, if they say expansion, their have tidal forces in their mind. It's not really important, but remembering "... even if the expansion does actually occur at all scales, we will show ..." they seem to believe that there is no clear theoretical foundation to assume the existence of tidal forces (thereby neglecting the dark energy), otherwise "even if" makes no sense.

PeterDonis said:
The "external forces" are tidal forces. Basically they are trying to compute the tidal forces induced by the rest of the matter in the universe on the solar system.
Hmm, and also induced by the dark energy, right? Otherwise the universe wouldn't expand accelerated.

But on this scale the tidal forces should be computed with respect to the effect of the dark energy only, correct? And this correction to the acceleration of the Earth towards the sun should yield a larger value then.

timmdeeg said:
and also induced by the dark energy, right?

I don't think their calculation includes dark energy; they seem to be using the matter-dominated FRW model. Including dark energy does change the tidal forces, yes. See below.

timmdeeg said:
on this scale the tidal forces should be computed with respect to the effect of the dark energy only, correct?

Once again, it depends on what assumptions you make. Cooperstock et al. appear to be making the assumption that the individual objects in the solar system are not moving on "comoving" worldlines, which means they are not assuming that the matter in the universe is exactly homogeneous and isotropic--if it were, every single piece of matter everywhere in the universe, on all scales, would be moving on a "comoving" worldline. If that were true, we would be able to see tidal forces on any scale due to all of the matter and energy in the universe, whether it was ordinary matter, dark matter, radiation, or dark energy.

In our actual universe, individual pieces of matter do not move on comoving worldlines; the "comoving" worldlines only describe the average motion of the matter in the universe on very large scales (hundreds of millions to billions of light years). So on much smaller scales, we would not expect tidal forces due to the matter to be significant (and Cooperstock et al.'s calculations appear to show that). But the density of dark energy is constant everywhere, so effectively, dark energy moves on "comoving" worldlines everywhere, and tidal forces due to dark energy should be present on all distance scales. (But on the scale of the solar system, they are still very small.) However, as above, I don't think Cooperstock et al. included dark energy in their calculations.

I hope that I don't bother you. I don't aim to criticize this paper, of course, but think it has pedagogical value to deal with it.

PeterDonis said:
I don't think their calculation includes dark energy; they seem to be using the matter-dominated FRW model. Including dark energy does change the tidal forces, yes.
In this case it seems, they talk expansion (effect of accelerated expansion) but calculate deceleration.

PeterDonis said:
Once again, it depends on what assumptions you make. Cooperstock et al. appear to be making the assumption that the individual objects in the solar system are not moving on "comoving" worldlines, which means they are not assuming that the matter in the universe is exactly homogeneous and isotropic--if it were, every single piece of matter everywhere in the universe, on all scales, would be moving on a "comoving" worldline. If that were true, we would be able to see tidal forces on any scale due to all of the matter and energy in the universe, whether it was ordinary matter, dark matter, radiation, or dark energy.

In our actual universe, individual pieces of matter do not move on comoving worldlines; the "comoving" worldlines only describe the average motion of the matter in the universe on very large scales (hundreds of millions to billions of light years). So on much smaller scales, we would not expect tidal forces due to the matter to be significant (and Cooperstock et al.'s calculations appear to show that). But the density of dark energy is constant everywhere, so effectively, dark energy moves on "comoving" worldlines everywhere, and tidal forces due to dark energy should be present on all distance scales. (But on the scale of the solar system, they are still very small.) However, as above, I don't think Cooperstock et al. included dark energy in their calculations.
I think there are 2 scenarios only , if dark energy is not included.

1. All matter is homogeneous on all scales as according to the FRW model, with the exception of the solar system. In other words, the solar system is 'suspended' in the matter fluid. Then all matter is comoving with the exception of the planets. This picture is probably unphysical due to the gravitational influence of the sun and the planets on the matter fluid. However neglecting this, one obtains a theoretical value of the tidal force on the solar system induced by the fluid.

2. There is no fluid, the universe is structured like ours instead. Then "we would not expect tidal forces", as you say.

I don't understand jet, why the effect is not exactly zero in scenario 2., how would tidal forces be founded theoretically, even if very, very small? Did Cooperstock use scenario 1. eventually?

timmdeeg said:
they talk expansion (effect of accelerated expansion) but calculate deceleration

Expansion does not necessarily mean accelerated expansion. As far as I can tell, by "expansion" they mean the kind you see in a matter-dominated model, which decelerates. They do not mean the kind you see in a dark energy-dominated model, which accelerates. If you think they mean the latter, please give specific quotes.

timmdeeg said:
Cooperstock use scenario 1. eventually?

Not explicitly, but I think that's what their analysis amounts to. They are basically trying to see what "comoving" worldlines would look like in local coordinates centered on the worldline of the solar system's center of mass.

PeterDonis said:
Not explicitly, but I think that's what their analysis amounts to. They are basically trying to see what "comoving" worldlines would look like in local coordinates centered on the worldline of the solar system's center of mass.
This would make sense, in contrast to scenario 2. (universe structured) in my opinion.
Thanks for your helpful comments!