1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential projection operator in Dirac formalism

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys.

So here's the situation:
    Consider the Hilbert space [itex]H_{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex], which is spanned by the orthonormal kets [itex]|j,m_{j}>[/itex] with [itex]j=\frac{1}{2}, m_{j}=(\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2})[/itex]. Let [itex] |+> = |\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}>[/itex] and [itex]|->=|\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}>[/itex]. Define the following two projection operators:

[itex]\hat{P}_{+}=|+><+|[/itex] and [itex]\hat{P}_{-}=|-><-|[/itex].

Now consider the operator [itex]\hat{O}=e^{i\alpha \hat{P}_{+}+i\beta \hat{P}_{-}}[/itex].

Compute the following:

[itex]<+|\hat{O}|+>[/itex]

[itex]<-|\hat{O}|->[/itex]

[itex]<-|\hat{O}|+>[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

orthonormality stuff: <+|+> = <-|-> = 1, <-|+> = <+|-> = 0.

Series representation of e^x:

[itex]e^{x}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{k}}{k!}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So here's what Ive done. Of course you gota represent the operator O in a nicer way, and this is what I need to know if ive done right:

[itex]e^{i\alpha \hat{P}_{+}}=I+(i\alpha) \hat{P}_{+} + \frac{(i\alpha)^{2}}{2}\hat{P}_{+}+...=I+\hat{P}_{+}(i\alpha + \frac{(i\alpha)^2}{2}+...)=I+\hat{P}_{+}(e^{i\alpha}-1)[/itex]

Similarly:

[itex]e^{i\beta \hat{P}_{-}}=I+\hat{P}_{-}(e^{i\beta}-1)[/itex]

where [itex]I[/itex] is the identity matrix. Now, O is a product of these two:

[itex]\hat{O}=[I+\hat{P}_{+}(e^{i\alpha}-1)][I+\hat{P}_{-}(e^{i\beta}-1)]=I+\hat{P}_{+}(e^{i\alpha}-1)+\hat{P}_{-}(e^{i\beta}-1)[/itex]

because the cross-terms in the product vanish as [itex]\hat{P}_{+}\hat{P}_{-}=0[/itex]

So that's my expression for O. Using that, I find that

[itex]<+|\hat{O}|+>=e^{i\alpha}[/itex]. I havent done the rest yet, but is this one right guys...?

please tell me if ive made any math errors!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2
    Hi.
    That's right because ([itex]\hat{P}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex] = [itex]\hat{P}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex], otherwise you would have to determine all exponents of the operators.
    You're good so far!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted