1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential relationships to logarithms and straight line graph?

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    it is suspected that cells in a sample are dividing so that the number of cells present at any one time t (measured in seconds) is growing exponentially according to the relationship y = 64 x 2^2t. it would be hard to check this relationship accurately by plotting measurements of y against t, so in practice one can use logarithms to convert it to a linear line equation. sketch a graph of log(base2)y against t, labelling the point where the graph crosses the axes?
    how to i find the points on x and y axis where the line crosses, i believe the line will be a straight line, how do i do this?

I REALLY HAVE TRIED WITH THIS QUESTION, IT HAS TAKEN ME THE WHOLE DAY TO TRY AND DO, I HOPE SOMEONE CAN SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, did you spend all day doing? Taking the logarithm of both sides of [itex]y= 64(2^{2t})[/itex] gives [itex]ln(y)= log(64)+ 2t log(2)[/itex]

That is of the form Y= at+ b where Y= log(y), a= 2log(2), and b= log(64). It crosses the Y axis when t= 0, at (0, ln(64)) and the t axis when Y= 0, at t= log(64)/(2log(2)).

I specifically did not give a base for the logarithm because the above is true for any base. It is particularly simple if you use, not "common" or "natural" logarithm, but the logarithm base 2: [itex]log_2(2)= 1[/itex] and [itex]log_2(64)= log_2(2^6)= 6[/itex] so Letting [itex]Y= log_2(y)[/itex], the equation becomes Y= 2t+ 6 with intercepts at (0, 6) and (3, 0).

4. Jul 22, 2009 #3
    cheers mate, i wasnt doing that, i think i need to spend more time and concentration on logs and try a number of different questions on it, thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook