1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

?, exponentiation, multiplication, addition, ?

1. May 10, 2007 #1
    What simple operations, if any, precede or succeed the series ". . . exponentiation, multiplication, addition. . ."?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2
    ..., hexation, pentation, tetration, exponentiation, multiplication, addition, ...

Maybe succession is a good candidate for the next operation in the sequence. I don't think there's much after that, though.

4. May 11, 2007 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you trying to remember PEMDAS?

- Warren

5. May 11, 2007 #4
    chroot,

More like: multiplication represents repeated additions, and exponentiation represents repeated multiplications, etc. (Thanks for the PEMDAS blast to my algebraic past, though.)

6. May 11, 2007 #5
    Yep, that's the list I gave you.

Tetration ([itex]\uparrow\uparrow[/itex]) is repeated exponentiation, right associated:

[tex]a\uparrow\uparrow b = a^{a^{...^{a^a}}}[/tex]

where there are [itex]b[/itex] [itex]a[/itex]'s on the left side.

[tex]2\uparrow\uparrow 2 = 2^2 = 4[/tex]
    [tex]2\uparrow\uparrow 3 = 2^{2^2} = 2^4 = 16[/tex]
    [tex]2\uparrow\uparrow 4 = 2^{2^{2^2}} = 2^{16} = 65536[/tex]

Pentation ([itex]\uparrow\uparrow\uparrow[/itex]) is repeated tetration, also right associated, etc.

Succession is adding 1, so you might say that adding a and b is like adding 1 to a, b times.

EDIT: I use Knuth uparrow notation for the higher operators. This is not strictly speaking a universally agreed upon thing, so you might have to explain it to pretty much anyone you show it to.

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  7. May 11, 2007 #6
    Moo,

That's what I sought. "Succession" as you define it seems reasonable to me. My guess is that the next step involves fractals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook