Exponents relating to linear equations- help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of a line passing through two points, (1,∏) and (∏₂,∏⁴). The speaker mentions that they need to find the gradient first and got stuck trying to calculate it using the formula pi4-pi2 / pi2-1. They then mention trying two different methods but neither of them seemed like the correct gradient. However, they later figure out that the correct gradient is pi2-3 and the equation of the line is y=pi2(x).
cmaro
So I need to find the equation of the line passing through (1,∏) (∏₂,∏⁴) sorry, the two would only do sub script not super script but does represent squared.

So I had to find the gradient first, so that I could then sub that along with x and y into y=mx+c but I got stuck trying to find the gradient because there is pi4-pi2 / pi2-1.

How do i figure this out? i tried two things and ended up with pi - 1/pi and then pi2-3.. neither of these seem like gradients?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
never mind! i figured it out- it was m= pi2-3, and i ended up with an answer of y=pi2(x) which was correct! :)

The first thing to note is that the points given are not in standard form (x,y), but rather in (x,π^2) and (π^2,π^4). This means that the x-values are actually π^2 and the y-values are π^4.

To find the gradient, you can use the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two points given. In this case, it would be (π^4-π^2)/(π^2-1).

To simplify this, you can factor out a π^2 from both the numerator and denominator, giving you π^2(π^2-1)/(π^2-1). This simplifies to just π^2, so the gradient of the line is π^2.

Now, you can plug this gradient into the equation y=mx+c, along with one of the points given (it doesn't matter which one). For example, using the point (1,π), you would have π=π^2(1)+c. Solving for c, you get c=π-π^2.

Therefore, the equation of the line passing through the two given points is y=π^2x+(π-π^2).

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion you had about using exponents in linear equations. Just remember to be careful with your notation and make sure you have the points in standard form before finding the gradient.

1. What are exponents in linear equations?

Exponents in linear equations are a way of representing repeated multiplication. They are written as a superscript number and indicate how many times the base number should be multiplied by itself.

2. How do exponents relate to linear equations?

Exponents can be used in linear equations to represent variables that change at a constant rate. They can also be used to simplify equations and make them easier to solve.

3. Can exponents be negative in linear equations?

Yes, exponents can be negative in linear equations. A negative exponent indicates that the base number should be divided by itself the specified number of times.

4. How can I solve a linear equation with exponents?

To solve a linear equation with exponents, you can use the properties of exponents such as the power rule and product rule. You can also isolate the variable with the exponent and then take the appropriate root on both sides of the equation to eliminate the exponent.

5. What is the difference between exponents and coefficients in linear equations?

Exponents represent the repeated multiplication of a base number, while coefficients are the numerical values that are multiplied by variables in an equation. In linear equations, coefficients are often used to represent the slope or rate of change, while exponents are used to represent variables changing at a constant rate.