Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Express derivatives most intuitively

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    I have given a function g(t)=∇(f(x(t))) , f: IR³->IR and x: IR-> IR³ and want to express the first 3 derivatives with respect to time most simply.
    I thought that g'(t)=Hessian(f(x(t)))dx/dt
    but how do I get the further derivatives. is there any chance to express those in terms of taking the gradient or the hessian matrix of a function several times?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If f is a function from R3 to R3, then its derivative is, as you say, a linear transformation from R3 to R3 which you can represent as a 3 by 3 matrix, the Hessian, at each point in R3, which has 9 entries and so can be thought of as in R9.

And that, in turn, means that the derivative function is from R3 to R9 so its derivative would be a linear tranformation from R3 to R9 which could be represented by a "3 by 3 by 3" matrix- a sort of three dimensional variation of a matrix. Higher derivatives, then, would involve higher dimensions.

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    okay, thank you for your reply, but how do I write down these higher derivatives explicitely, so that I get the right answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook