Derivative of a function is equal to zero

In summary, there was a discussion about a function ##g(t)## and its relationship to the derivative of another function ##y=y(x)##. One approach involved taking the derivative of ##g## with respect to ##y##, which led to a mistake due to confusion between ##y(t)## and ##y(x)##. The other approach involved operating on ##g = \frac{dy}{dt}## with ##d/dy## and ended with a final result of 0.
kent davidge
Suppose:

- that I have a function ##g(t)## such that ##g(t) = \frac{dy}{dt} ##;
- that ##y = y(x)## and ##x = x(t)##;
- that I take the derivative of ##g## with respect to ##y##.

One one hand this is ##\frac{dg}{dy} = \frac{dg}{dx}\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{d^2 y}{dxdt}\frac{dx}{dy}##. On the other hand, if I operate right into ##g = \frac{dy}{dt}## with ##d/dy##, it is ##(d/dy)(dy/dt) = (d/dt)(dy/dy) = 0##. Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I have edited my post to correct a step

You confused ##y(t)## with ##y(x)##. Write the functions with their variables: ##g=\dfrac{d}{dt}y(t)=g(t)## and ##y=y(x)## and with ##x=x(t)## you have ##y=y(x(t))##.
$$
\dfrac{d}{dy} g = \dfrac{d}{dy} \dfrac{dy}{dt} y(t)= \dfrac{d}{dt}y(t)=\dfrac{d}{dx}y(x) \dfrac{d}{dt}x(t)
$$
What was the part in the middle? Sorry, which was the other approach?

Likes kent davidge
First post is now gone, no question to answer.

Restored for readability.

1. What does it mean for the derivative of a function to equal zero?

When the derivative of a function is equal to zero, it means that the slope of the function at that particular point is equal to zero. In other words, the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

2. Why is it important for a function's derivative to equal zero?

When a function's derivative is equal to zero, it indicates that the function has reached either a maximum or minimum value at that point. This information is crucial in optimization problems, where we are trying to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

3. How do you find the points where a function's derivative is equal to zero?

To find the points where a function's derivative is equal to zero, you need to set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable. These points are also known as critical points.

4. Can a function have more than one point where its derivative is equal to zero?

Yes, a function can have multiple points where its derivative is equal to zero. These points can represent local maxima, local minima, or points of inflection.

5. Does a function always have a derivative of zero at its maximum or minimum points?

No, a function does not always have a derivative of zero at its maximum or minimum points. It is possible for a function to have a flat tangent line (slope of zero) at a point that is not a maximum or minimum. These points are known as points of inflection.