Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing fractions as powers?

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    Expressing fractions as powers??

How would you go about expressing this 127/squareroot(5) as a power of 5? I got a copy of last years exams to use for revision and practice and its full of stuff I don't know how to do. This one happens to be a multiple choice and the possible answers are 5 to the power of A:3 1/2, B: 6, C: -1 1/2, D: -3

I know most of the laws of indices but im stuck here.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2
    Re: Expressing fractions as powers??

Are you sure the question says 127/squareroot(5)?

You can check that none of the answers match this value.

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A number in the denominator corresponds to a number in the numerator with a negative power. However, sqrt(5) in the denominator is 5-1/2, not -1 1/2 or -3. If the denominator were [itex]\sqrt{5^3}= \sqrt{125}[/itex], then the exponent would be -3/2= -1 1/2.

5. Dec 6, 2008 #4

Sorry it was 125 over square root of 5 not 127. I have no idea how to solve this.

I considered actually dividing the denominator into the numerator then using logs to convert the answer to a power of 5 but that method seems way too impractical to be the commonly used method.

HallsofIvy I don't fully get what you said about the denominator and the numerator.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  6. Dec 6, 2008 #5

Spelling it out,

[tex]\frac{125}{\sqrt{5}} = \frac{5^3}{5^{1/2}} = 5^{3 - 1/2} = 5^{5/2}[/tex]

7. Dec 7, 2008 #6

Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?