Expressing fractions as powers?

• Thread starter MadmanMurray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation was about how to express the fraction 127/squareroot(5) as a power of 5. After discussing the laws of indices, it was determined that the denominator should be \sqrt{5^3}= \sqrt{125} for the exponent to be -3/2= -1 1/2. Finally, it was concluded that the fraction can be rewritten as 5^{5/2}.
MadmanMurray
Expressing fractions as powers??

How would you go about expressing this 127/squareroot(5) as a power of 5? I got a copy of last years exams to use for revision and practice and its full of stuff I don't know how to do. This one happens to be a multiple choice and the possible answers are 5 to the power of A:3 1/2, B: 6, C: -1 1/2, D: -3

I know most of the laws of indices but I am stuck here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Are you sure the question says 127/squareroot(5)?

You can check that none of the answers match this value.

A number in the denominator corresponds to a number in the numerator with a negative power. However, sqrt(5) in the denominator is 5-1/2, not -1 1/2 or -3. If the denominator were [itex]\sqrt{5^3}= \sqrt{125}[/itex], then the exponent would be -3/2= -1 1/2.

Sorry it was 125 over square root of 5 not 127. I have no idea how to solve this.

I considered actually dividing the denominator into the numerator then using logs to convert the answer to a power of 5 but that method seems way too impractical to be the commonly used method.

HallsofIvy I don't fully get what you said about the denominator and the numerator.

Last edited:

Spelling it out,

[tex]\frac{125}{\sqrt{5}} = \frac{5^3}{5^{1/2}} = 5^{3 - 1/2} = 5^{5/2}[/tex]

Thanks a lot.

1. How do I express a fraction as a power?

To express a fraction as a power, you can rewrite the fraction as a number raised to a negative exponent. For example, 1/2 can be expressed as 2^-1.

2. Why would I want to express a fraction as a power?

Expressing fractions as powers can make calculations and comparisons easier. It can also help simplify complex fractions.

3. Can any fraction be expressed as a power?

Yes, any fraction can be expressed as a power. However, the exponent may be a decimal or a combination of integers and decimals.

4. How can I convert a fraction to a negative power?

To convert a fraction to a negative power, simply move the numerator to the denominator and make the exponent negative. For example, 3/4 can be expressed as 4^-1/3.

5. Can I express a mixed number as a power?

Yes, a mixed number can be expressed as a power. First, convert the mixed number to an improper fraction. Then, follow the same steps as expressing a fraction as a power.