Fraction Multiplication: How to Multiply Fractions and Mixed Numbers

In summary, the conversation is about a question that seems like it involves subtraction of fractions, but is actually about multiplication. The person has 3 1/4 boxes of paper and gives away 1/2, leaving them with 1 5/8 boxes. They do not understand how the army test sample questions arrived at this answer and are seeking clarification. They clarify that this is not homework, but rather revision questions for practice.
David39ni
I am finding it hard to understand this questions its sounds more like fraction subtraction than multiple but the army test sample questions says its multipication

You have 3 1/4 boxes of paper. You give 1/2 to the paper to a colleague, how many boxes of paper do you have left.

The test says 1 5/8 i don't understand how they get to that. Now when i did prob did it wrong i got 22 / 12 I don't now how they get 1 5/8.

This is not home work this is revision questions available on the site to practise the type of quesitons I might be getting.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, David39ni! (Wave)

If you give away 1/2, then you have 1/2 left. So all we need to do is find what one-half of what you began with is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\cdot3\tfrac{1}{4}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{3\cdot4+1}{4}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{13}{4}=\frac{13}{8}=\frac{8+5}{8}=1\tfrac{5}{8}\)

Does that make sense?

Not really sorry wish this site had videos you still don't how their answer what i said ?

David39ni said:
Not really sorry wish this site had videos you still don't how their answer what i said ?

I am assuming you understand that if you give half of something away, you are left with one-half yourself.

Another way to look at finding one half of the original amount is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\cdot3\tfrac{1}{4}=\frac{1}{2}\left(3+\frac{1}{4}\right)=1\tfrac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{8}=1\tfrac{4}{8}+\frac{1}{8}=1\tfrac{5}{8}\)

This is actually more in line with how I would picture it mentally. :D

What is fraction multiplication?

Fraction multiplication involves multiplying two fractions together to get a new fraction as the result. It is a way to find the product of two fractions.

How do you multiply fractions?

To multiply fractions, you first multiply the numerators together, and then multiply the denominators together. The resulting fraction is the product of the two fractions.

What is the rule for multiplying fractions?

The rule for multiplying fractions is to multiply the numerators together and the denominators together. The resulting fraction is the product of the two fractions.

Can you multiply fractions with different denominators?

Yes, you can multiply fractions with different denominators. To do this, you need to first find a common denominator by finding the lowest common multiple of the two denominators. Then, you can multiply the numerators and denominators accordingly to get the product.

Why do we need to multiply fractions?

We need to multiply fractions to find the product of two or more quantities that are represented by fractions. This is useful in many real-life situations, such as in cooking, dividing items into equal portions, and calculating rates or percentages.