Expressing moment of inertia in terms of m,a,r and g

In summary: I will definitely use that tip in the future. Thank you again!In summary, the moment of inertia (I) of the platform can be expressed as (g/a-1)mr^2 where g is the constant of acceleration, a is the acceleration of the mass, m is the value of the hanging mass, and r is the radius of the spindle. This can be derived by considering the net forces and torques on the mass and spindle and using algebraic manipulation.
GMontey

Homework Statement

Find an expression for the moment of inertia (I) of the platform in terms of acceleration of the mass (a), the value of the hanging mass (m), the radius of the spindle (r) and the constant (g).

Diagram: http://i.imgur.com/rv3zFYG.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma t=Iα a=rα

The Attempt at a Solution

Net force: mg-T=ma (T is tension of spring)
Net torque: T-tf=Iα (T is tension of spring, tf is torque)
T=1/2ma

Apparently the answer is: I= (g/a-1)mr^2 but I'm having some trouble getting there.

Physics news on Phys.org
GMontey said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Net force: mg-T=ma (T is tension of spring)
tension in the what? "string" perhaps?

Net torque: T-tf=Iα
T is not a torque so you cannot subtract a torque from it - dimensions don't match. What is the relationship between torque and force?

(T is tension of spring, tf is torque)
T=1/2ma
How did you get that?

You have the right approach - start with free-body diagrams for each element.
But you need to be careful about your math.

i.e. for the mass: +ve = "down": ##mg-T=ma##

i.e. how many torques are acting on the flywheel?

How did you calculate T=1/2ma?

Also note that tf=T*rWELCOME TO PF!

I believe I solved it thanks to all of your help. The forces acting on the mass are gravity (mg) and the tension of the string (T). There is one torque acting on the spindle ( tf). The net torque on the mass is mg - T= ma which can be rewritten as T= mg - ma. The net torque on the spindle is tf =Iα. tf can be rewritten as Txr and I can substitute mg - ma for T, so now I have (mg - ma)xr =Iα. a =αr and I can rearrange this so α =a/r, which I can then substitute into (mg - ma)xr =Iα. Now I have (mg - ma)xr =I(a/r), using some algebra I can rearrange the equation into (mg - ma)xr x(r/a). Now I have (mg - ma)r^2/a, with more algebra I have (mg/a-ma/a)r^2 =I which simplifies to [(mg/a)-m]r^2= I. I pull out m and have (g/a-1)mr^2 =I, please tell me this is right...?

Well done - though it's a little hard to read.
I'd have just left it as $$I=\frac{g-a}{a}mr^2$$ but it is nice if it looks like the model answer.
(you want the mr^2 together because that is the moment of inertia of a point mass...)

Just a tip - it is easier to read your algebra if you lay it out like you would when you write.
i.e give each statement it's own line like this:

The forces acting on the mass are gravity (mg) and the tension of the string (T).
There is one torque acting on the spindle ( tf).
The net torque on the mass is mg - T= ma which can be rewritten as

T= mg - ma

The net torque on the spindle is tf =Iα.
tf can be rewritten as Txr and I can substitute mg - ma for T, so now I have

(mg - ma)xr =Iα.

a =αr and I can rearrange this so α =a/r, which I can then substitute into (mg - ma)xr =Iα.
Now I have

(mg - ma)xr =I(a/r)

... using some algebra I can rearrange the equation into (mg - ma)xr x(r/a).
Now I have

(mg - ma)r^2/a

... with more algebra I have

(mg/a-ma/a)r^2 =I

... which simplifies to

[(mg/a)-m]r^2= I

... I pull out m and have

(g/a-1)mr^2 =I

Huzzah! Thank you very much for both helping me and organizing my mess!

1. How is the moment of inertia defined?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is defined as the sum of the individual masses of the object multiplied by the square of their distances from the axis of rotation.

2. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia is I = Σm*r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, Σm is the sum of the individual masses, and r is the distance of each mass from the axis of rotation.

3. How does the acceleration affect the moment of inertia?

The acceleration of an object does not directly affect its moment of inertia. However, the moment of inertia can be used to calculate the torque required to produce a certain angular acceleration.

4. Can the moment of inertia be expressed in terms of mass, acceleration, radius, and gravity?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be expressed as I = m*r^2, where m is the mass of the object, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the significance of expressing moment of inertia in terms of m,a,r and g?

Expressing moment of inertia in terms of m,a,r, and g allows for a better understanding of how different factors, such as mass, acceleration, radius, and gravity, affect the object's rotational motion. It also allows for easier calculations and comparisons between different objects with varying properties.