Expressing p in Terms of q, r, and s from Quadratic Equation (1)

  • Thread starter Thread starter phospho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Weird
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
phospho
Messages
250
Reaction score
0
[itex]6pq+r=\sqrt{r^2-4ps}, \ \ p\neq 0 \ \ (1)[/itex]

Without squaring (1) or any of it's rearrangements, express p in terms of only q, r and s.I realized this is some sort of quadratic formula so I got [tex]p = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{6q}[/tex]

so for the quadratic ap^2 + bp + c,
a = 3q, b = r, c = s,
3qp^2 + rp + s

i'm stuck from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
[itex]6pq+r=\sqrt{r^2-4ps}, \ \ p\neq 0 \ \ (1)[/itex]

Without squaring (1) or any of it's rearrangements, express p in terms of only q, r and s.

I realized this is some sort of quadratic formula so I got [tex]p = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{6q}[/tex]

so for the quadratic ap^2 + bp + c,
a = 3q, b = r, c = s,
3qp^2 + rp + s

I'm stuck from here.
Does the quadratic formula count as squaring equation (1) ? Just asking ...

If it's OK to use the quadratic formula, then notice that in relation to the standard quadratic equation,
[itex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex]​
the quantities under the radical are the coefficients, a, b, and c.
[itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]​

Puttying this in a form similar to eq. (1) gives
[itex]\displaystyle 2ax+b=\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}[/itex]​
 
phospho said:
[itex]6pq+r=\sqrt{r^2-4ps}, \ \ p\neq 0 \ \ (1)[/itex]

Without squaring (1) or any of it's rearrangements, express p in terms of only q, r and s.


I realized this is some sort of quadratic formula so I got [tex]p = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{6q}[/tex]

so for the quadratic ap^2 + bp + c,
a = 3q, b = r, c = s,
3qp^2 + rp + s

i'm stuck from here.


errm... [itex]4ac \neq 4ps[/itex] so this isn't quite so nice
 
SammyS said:
Does the quadratic formula count as squaring equation (1) ? Just asking ...

If it's OK to use the quadratic formula, then notice that in relation to the standard quadratic equation,
[itex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex]​
the quantities under the radical are the coefficients, a, b, and c.
[itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]​

Puttying this in a form similar to eq. (1) gives
[itex]\displaystyle 2ax+b=\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}[/itex]​
It doesn't no.

I somehow managin to get [tex]p = \dfrac{-(rq+s)}{3q^2}[/tex] which is incorrect

gabbagabbahey said:
errm... [itex]4ac \neq 4ps[/itex] so this isn't quite so nice

could you explain?
 
Last edited:
never mind I rearranged into [itex]3q = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p}[/itex] and got the right answer.

thanks!
 
Last edited:
phospho said:
never mind I rearranged into [itex]3q = \dfrac{-r\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p}[/itex] and got the right answer.
Not sure how you got the right answer, because what you wrote doesn't follow from the original. Also, I thought the question was to...
phospho said:
express p in terms of only q, r and s.
Color me confused. :confused:
 
phospho said:
never mind I rearranged into [itex]3q = \dfrac{-r\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p}[/itex] and got the right answer.

thanks!
So, what did you get for p ?
 
SammyS said:
So, what did you get for p ?
eumyang said:
Not sure how you got the right answer, because what you wrote doesn't follow from the original. Also, I thought the question was to...

Color me confused. :confused:

well the original equation is [itex]6pq + r = \sqrt{r^2-4ps}[/itex] I rearranged to get [itex]3q = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p}[/itex] I then compared it with [itex]x = \dfrac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex] giving x = 3q, b = r, c = s so: [itex]p(3q)^2 +r3q +s = 0[/itex] rearranging to get [itex]p = \dfrac{-(3qr + s)}{9q^2}[/itex] which is correct (or so it says.)
 
phospho said:
well the original equation is [itex]6pq + r = \sqrt{r^2-4ps}[/itex] I rearranged to get [itex]3q = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p}[/itex] I then compared it with [itex]x = \dfrac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex] giving x = 3q, b = r, c = s so: [itex]p(3q)^2 +r3q +s = 0[/itex] rearranging to get [itex]p = \dfrac{-(3qr + s)}{9q^2}[/itex] which is correct (or so it says.)

I agree.