Expressions of the form *full, e.g. cupful, bag full, screenfull

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expressions Form
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Messages
7,864
Reaction score
1,605
What is your personal practice in dealing with expressions of fullness that end with "full"? (I'm just curious what other people do, I'm not likely to change my own habits.)

I don't know if USA English has a rule about writing expressions like "cup full" (two words) vs "cupful" (one word sans an "L") vs "cupfull" (one word that the internet says is a misspelling. ). Perhaps each attempt to suffix a word by "full" is separate case. I don't follow a general rule. To me, "screenfull" looks ok, especially in talking about computers. Something like "fountainfull" looks wrong. Situations like "playful" are (to me) special cases. I don't think of "playful" as meaning a play that is full of something.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me you are mixing the apples with the oranges. Words like playful (vengeful,delightful,awful) are a separate genre from cup full (screen full, head full). The first are transmuted versions of play-filled delight-filled
Personally I use these two different genres as written above. Since there is no Academie Americaine, and so we are chock full of lawful uses.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc
Generally, the suffix is ful (with one "l"): headful, pocketful, cupboardful, spoonful. There may be some exceptions, I don't know.

You could draw a distinction between, for example, he was manful (brave, resolute) and he was a man full of bad ideas. Keeping "full" as a separate word may have a subtly different emphasis.

I would say chock full is no different from stuffed full or even filled full.
 
hutchphd said:
Since there is no Academie Americaine, and so we are chock full of lawful uses.

- and awful uses.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd
PeroK said:
I would say chock full is no different from stuffed full or even filled full.
I'm filled with thoughtful agreement here, but, I'm also mindful of what is a seamful

and insightful, yet not a fully discernible, very minor error. . . chock full should actually

be chocked full. . . . :wink:
Then we might could say, in a truthful and shameful, or, even disgraceful way. . ."Sometimes, even my Goodyears are chocked full of inactivity. . ."
1603846506467.png
Lol. . . . :-p

.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc
English dictionary built in Linux spellcheckers lists two words ending with full - overfull and bellyfull.

It lists 161 words ending with ful.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK