Extension of measure on sigma-algebra

In summary: Then, using the Caratheodory Extension Theorem, we can define a countable additive measure \nu on \mathscr{F}_E such that \nu(A)=\mu(A) for any A\in\mathscr{F}.In summary, by using the Caratheodory Extension Theorem and defining \nu on \mathscr{F}_E, we can prove the existence of a countable additive measure that matches \mu on \mathscr{F} and \mathscr{A}_\cup,\mathscr{A}_\cap,\mathscr{A}_\smallsetminus,\mathscr{A}_{\cup\smallsetminus}.
Mike.B
Suppose ##\mu:\mathcal{F}\rightarrow[0,\infty)## be a countable additive measure on a ##\sigma##-algebra ##\mathcal{F}## over a set ##\Omega##. Take any ##E\subseteq \Omega##. Let ##\mathcal{F}_{E}:=\sigma(\mathcal{F}\cup\{E\})##. Then, PROVE there is a countable additive measure ##\nu:\mathcal{F}_{E}\rightarrow [0,\infty)## such that ##\nu(A)=\mu(A)## for any ##A\in\mathcal{F}##. I already know the measure extension theorem. But it is based on algebra and the extension is only about ##\sigma(\mathcal{F})##. Can someone give me hint? Or how can I make use of measure extension theorem.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it may be possible to show that [itex]\mathscr{F}_E=\sigma(\mathscr{F}\cup\{E\})=\mathscr{F}\cup\mathscr{A}_\cup\cup\mathscr{A}_\cap\cup\mathscr{A}_\smallsetminus[/itex]
where
[itex]\mathscr{A}_\cup\equiv\{S\cup E\vert S\in \mathscr{F}\}[/itex]
[itex]\mathscr{A}_\cap\equiv\{S\cap E\vert S\in \mathscr{F}\}[/itex]
[itex]\mathscr{A}_\smallsetminus\equiv\{S\smallsetminus E\vert S\in \mathscr{F}\}[/itex]

I can't see a way to use the Caratheodory Extension Theorem here, because the point of that is in going from finite to countably infinite unions, and that is not the obstacle, if the above is correct.

But what if we were to define measure [itex]\nu[/itex] on [itex]\mathscr{F}_E[/itex] by
[itex]\nu(U)\equiv \sup\{\mu(V)\vert V\in\mathscr{F}\wedge V\subseteq U\}[/itex]

This clearly matches [itex]\mu[/itex] on [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex]. I think it may be possible to show that it matches on
[itex]\mathscr{A}_\cup,\mathscr{A}_\cap,\mathscr{A}_\smallsetminus[/itex], taking them one at a time.

It then remains to show that [itex]\nu[/itex] is a countably additive measure, which again I think should be possible.

Likes Mike.B
We need one more component of [itex]\mathscr{F}_E[/itex], which is [itex]\mathscr{A}_{\cup\smallsetminus}\equiv\{S\cup (\Omega\smallsetminus E)\vert S\in \mathscr{F}\}[/itex]. It is pretty straightforward to show that [itex]\mathscr{F}_E=\sigma(\mathscr{F}\cup\{E\})=\mathscr{F}\cup\mathscr{A}_\cup\cup\mathscr{A}_\cap\cup\mathscr{A}_\smallsetminus\cup \mathscr{A}_{\cup\smallsetminus}[/itex] and the union is disjoint.

Likes Mike.B

1. What is a sigma-algebra?

A sigma-algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set that contains the empty set, is closed under countable unions and complements, and is therefore closed under countable intersections as well. It is used in measure theory to define the concept of a measurable set.

2. Why is it important to extend a measure on a sigma-algebra?

Extending a measure on a sigma-algebra allows for the definition of a measure on a larger collection of sets. This is useful in situations where the original measure is not defined for all subsets of the given set, or when a more general measure is needed for certain applications.

3. How is the extension of measure on a sigma-algebra different from the original measure?

The extension of measure on a sigma-algebra may assign different values to some sets than the original measure. This is because the extension takes into account a larger collection of sets, and therefore may have different properties and measures for certain subsets.

4. Can any measure be extended on a sigma-algebra?

No, not all measures can be extended on a sigma-algebra. There are certain conditions that must be met in order for a measure to be extendable, such as the measure being countably additive and defined on a sigma-algebra that generates the entire set.

5. What is the relationship between a sigma-algebra and a measurable space?

A measurable space is a set equipped with a sigma-algebra and a measure. The sigma-algebra contains the measurable subsets of the set, and the measure assigns a numerical value to each measurable subset. Therefore, a sigma-algebra is a fundamental concept in the construction of measurable spaces and measures.