1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extra Sum of Squares [Statistics]

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to study off an old practice midterm for my upcoming statistics midterm. The midterm is attached.

Part One is the following problem:

The effect of a new antidepressant drug on reducing the severity of depression was studied in manic-depressive patients at three mental hospitals. In each hospital all such patients were randomly assigned to either a treatment (new drug) or a control (old drug) group with different doses. The results of this experiment are summarized in the following tables; a high mean score indicates more of a lowering in depression level than does a low mean score.

Summary Statistics for 6 Groups:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429073_10150583998056837_710136836_9423368_1227940643_n.jpg [Broken]

For the ANOVA, I am given only one value.

Sum of Squares Within Groups: 58.5

I am then asked to calculate the Extra sum of squares to the nearest integer.

2. Relevant equations

Extra Sum of Squares = Total Sum of Squares - Within Groups Sum of Squares = Between Groups Sum of Squares

Total Sum of Squares = Sum of Squares of All Observations - Correction for Mean

Correction for Mean = (total of all observations) ^2 / N

3. The attempt at a solution

I know from the answer key that the solution is 113.

I know I need to find the Total Sum of Squares, so I started by trying to calculate the correction for mean. I don't have the actual data, just the means, so I tried calculating:

Sum of Squares of All Observations = (n1*x1 + n2*x2 + ... + n6*x6)^2, which gave me 223.6.

223. 6 squared = 49996.96, which, divided by 42, is 1190.4.

Then I tried to add up the sum of squares of all observations by multiplying each mean by its n, then squaring that, for all 6 groups. Then I added all 6 together, such that:

(n1*x1)^2 + (n2*x2)^2 and so forth

= (8*8)^2 + (6*5.5)^2 + (10*5)^2 + (9*3)^2 + (4 * 6.4)^2 + (5*4.8)^2

= 9645.36

So Total would be:

9645.36 - 1190.4 = 8454.96.

... Which is laughably wrong.

Can anybody tell me where I screwed up, and how I can fix it? I feel like I'm calculating this wrong altogether. Can anybody help me at all?

Thank you!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Through disuse, I have forgotten all content of my statistics subjects :frown:
    and I don't understand the broader issue of what this question is about, nevertheless ....
    This comes no where near what I would expect for the "sum of squares" of anything.

https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon2.gif [Broken] I'd be happy to go with: (x1^2)*n1 + (x2^2)*n2 + .....

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook