1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Statistics] Obtaining test statistic in short problem

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone! Exam practice, that time of year. In this problem 13 with correct answer C, I'm not sure how they get the test statistic: http://i.imgur.com/doar3.jpg

I think they want you to use a F-test, that tests the entire model, which is calculated by: F= ((R^2)/ K)/ ((1 - R^2)/(n-K-1)) where K is the number of independent variables (3 in this question)

Then the R square is the percentage of the model that is explained, so the explained variation in Y / total variation in Y

R^2 = SSR / (SSE+SSR)
    SSR= sum of squared regression, SSE=sum of squared errors

Thanks for any help or insight!
    Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2
    I think they are doing a contingency table with a chi-square statistic.

4. Jun 28, 2012 #3
    Right, but I'm still at a loss! :)

5. Jun 28, 2012 #4
    Well, how many people in each of the three categories would expect, based on the predicted percentages? And how many were actually surveyed?

6. Jun 29, 2012 #5
    Hey, thanks for helping!

It's a sample of 120 people, so n=120
    So in this sample : 60 workers, 30 students, 30 retirees

7. Jul 5, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That was not the question. The question was: how many would you EXPECT in each group if the predicted percentages held true?

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook