Extracurricular activities on Grad School Applications

In summary, for a prospective applicant to an Engineering Grad School, it is recommended to participate in ECAs that are related to the field, such as research and part-time jobs. These can be included in a resume. However, it is important to note that graduate admissions focus more on academic achievements rather than extracurricular activities. Therefore, it is not necessary to participate in ECAs solely for the purpose of enhancing a graduate application, unless they contribute to relevant skills and experiences.
absurdist
Lets say you are a prospective applicant to an Engineering Grad School: What sorts of ECAs should you get involved in that make you look attractive to phd programs and where exactly do you put them ( resume?)? I mean things like : Volunteering, research in a different subject, part-time jobs, student editor and stuff like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Put in research and part-time jobs if they're related to the field (put in research regardless if it's in your field or not). Graduate admissions are different than undergraduate admissions.

Ok so If I've gotten a publication in a Langauge journal that's still going to help, despite the fact that its not pertinent to engineering?
So basically its pointless to do ECAs for the sake of your graduate application unless its adding to relevant skills?

What are considered extracurricular activities on grad school applications?

Extracurricular activities on grad school applications typically refer to any activities that you have participated in outside of your academic coursework. This can include clubs, organizations, volunteer work, internships, research projects, and leadership roles.

Do grad schools value certain types of extracurricular activities over others?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as different grad schools may value different types of extracurricular activities depending on their specific program and values. However, in general, grad schools tend to look for well-rounded applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to their passions and have a diverse range of experiences.

How much weight do extracurricular activities carry in grad school applications?

The weight given to extracurricular activities in grad school applications varies from school to school. Some schools may place a strong emphasis on extracurriculars as a way to gauge an applicant's interests and potential for success in their program. Other schools may place more weight on academic achievements and research experience. It's important to research the specific grad schools you are applying to and understand their values and priorities.

What should I highlight about my extracurricular activities in my grad school application?

When highlighting your extracurricular activities in your grad school application, focus on the skills and qualities you have gained through your involvement. For example, if you were a member of a club, discuss how you developed leadership, teamwork, and time management skills. If you volunteered, highlight the impact you made and the lessons you learned. Be sure to also connect your extracurricular activities to your academic and career goals to show how they have shaped your interests and aspirations.

How can I demonstrate the quality and impact of my extracurricular activities on my grad school application?

One way to demonstrate the quality and impact of your extracurricular activities is to provide evidence and examples. This can include awards, recognition, letters of recommendation, and tangible results of your involvement (such as increasing membership or fundraising for a cause). You can also reflect on your experiences and discuss how they have shaped you as a person and influenced your goals. It's important to be specific and provide concrete examples to effectively showcase the value of your extracurricular activities.