1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremely Quick Question (2 or 1 second)

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    Just a quick question about glass.. I bought a glass piece that is supposed to heat up to around 200 degrees celsius (it's tempered). I noticed that the glass has some bubbles in it. My question is..will the heat cause the the air in those bubbles to expand enough that they explode? Thx
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2
    Well I guess it would depend ont he size of the air bubbles, the heat would probably cause it to expand, but wether it would cause the glass to crack I think it down to the size of the bubbles.
  4. Apr 24, 2008 #3
    They have a radius of about a third of a millimeter..
  5. Apr 24, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The glass was formed at temperatures higher than 200C with the air bubbles already in there. So if they didn't explode when it was being cooled, they won't explode when it's heated up. What will cause it to break is stresses in the glass if you heat it up too fast, even if it is tempered. Take it easy.
  6. Apr 25, 2008 #5
    If you can trust the company who produced the glass then you can fairly certainly trust the glass, if not...
    And wear goggles! :tongue:
  7. Apr 26, 2008 #6
    thanks! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?