F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist (confirmation on work needed)

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt at designing a disabled hoist for a college assignment. They are specifically asking for feedback on their free body diagrams (FBDs) for the top beam and how to incorporate the weight of the beam into the diagrams. The equations used for the FBDs include the sum of all forces being equal to zero and the shear force being equal to the rate of change of moment. One person suggests treating the weight of the beam as another force and incorporating it into the diagrams.
LauraR

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I'm doing an assignment for college and designing a disabled hoist. I want to complete FBDs on the top beam especially. Can anyone help answer whether the work I've done is correct?

Homework Equations

the equations I used were the sum of all force = 0

and for the bending stress that the shear force = dm/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the two pictures attached for my attempts at (very quickly) drawing what i believe to be the correct solution. I'm taking the hwole thing to be static, as in the linear actuator is creating a force opposing the Load F. I would really appreciate some feedback, because I find F.B.D's hard to grasp, and I could be totally wrong!

Thanks
L

Attachments

• top beam FBD.JPG
    top beam FBD.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 343
  • sheer and bending D.JPG
    sheer and bending D.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone shed any light on this?

What about the weight of the beam?

How would I incorporate w into a shear diagram? Would it effect it? I understand w is another force acting on the beam and will put it in the top FBD, but I don't know what to do for the Shear and bending diagrams.

Thanks

It's just another force. Treat it like you did the other forces.

What is F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist?

F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist stands for "free body diagram for beam on disabled hoist". It is a visual representation of the forces acting on a beam that is attached to a disabled hoist. This diagram is used to calculate the forces and moments that need to be considered when designing or analyzing the hoist system.

Why is F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist important?

F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist is important because it helps engineers and designers understand the forces and moments that are acting on the hoist system. This information is crucial in determining the appropriate materials, dimensions, and safety measures needed for the hoist to function properly and safely.

How is F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist created?

F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist is created by identifying all the external forces acting on the beam, such as the weight of the hoist and any loads it is carrying. These forces are then drawn as vectors on a diagram, with their direction and magnitude indicated. The diagram also includes the beam itself and any supports or connections to other structures.

What factors affect the F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist?

The F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist is affected by various factors such as the weight and dimensions of the hoist, the weight and type of load it is carrying, the angle and direction of the beam, and the properties of the materials used. Other factors that may need to be considered include wind, temperature, and vibrations.

How can F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist be used to improve safety?

F.B.D. for beam on disabled hoist can be used to improve safety by identifying any potential weak points or areas of high stress in the hoist system. By understanding the forces and moments acting on the hoist, engineers can make design modifications or add additional supports to ensure the hoist can handle the expected loads without failure. This can help prevent accidents and injuries caused by equipment failure.