Force between two charged particle beams -- proton and electron beams

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of deflection for an electron beam going in the opposite direction of a proton beam. It is stated that the textbook mentions a repulsive force between two parallel proton beams, but it is unclear if this applies to the given scenario. The use of the vector form of the Lorentz Force equation is suggested to find the answer, as the sense of the charge affects the equation. The question of whether an electron beam in one direction is equivalent to a proton beam in the opposite direction is also raised.
carlyn medona

Homework Statement

A proton beam is going from north to south and an electron beam is going from south to north, so in which direction is the electron beam deflected

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

. [/B]
I thought an electron beam from south to north, would be equivalent to proton beam from north to south, and my textbook stated that force between two parallel proton beams is repulsive, so won't it be repulsive in this case too?

Physics news on Phys.org
carlyn medona said:

Homework Statement

A proton beam is going from north to south and an electron beam is going from south to north, so in which direction is the electron beam deflected

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

. [/B]
I thought an electron beam from south to north, would be equivalent to proton beam from north to south, and my textbook stated that force between two parallel proton beams is repulsive, so won't it be repulsive in this case too?
You did not list the Relevant Equations. Are you familiar with the vector form of the Lorentz Force equation? Try using that...

Okay in that case I got an attractive force, I can't assume electron beam in one direction equivalent to a proton beam in opposite direction?

carlyn medona said:
Okay in that case I got an attractive force, I can't assume electron beam in one direction equivalent to a proton beam in opposite direction?
Please write out the full vector Lorentz Force equation. The sense of the charge affects several things in the full equation...

1. What is the force between two charged particle beams?

The force between two charged particle beams is an attractive or repulsive force that exists between the two beams due to the electric charge of the particles. This force is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the beams.

2. How does the force between a proton and an electron beam differ?

The force between a proton and an electron beam is different because protons and electrons have opposite charges. Protons have a positive charge while electrons have a negative charge. This difference in charge leads to an attractive force between the two beams, as opposite charges attract each other according to Coulomb's Law.

3. What factors affect the force between two charged particle beams?

The force between two charged particle beams is affected by the magnitude of the charges of the particles, the distance between the beams, and the medium in which the beams are traveling. As the charges increase, the force between the beams increases. Similarly, as the distance between the beams increases, the force decreases. The medium between the beams can also affect the force, as it can either increase or decrease the force depending on its dielectric constant.

4. How can the force between two charged particle beams be calculated?

The force between two charged particle beams can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the two charges divided by the square of the distance between the beams. This formula can be used for both attractive and repulsive forces between the beams.

5. What are some real-world applications of the force between two charged particle beams?

The force between two charged particle beams has several real-world applications, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and cathode ray tubes. Particle accelerators use this force to accelerate particles to high speeds for scientific research. Mass spectrometers use this force to separate and analyze particles based on their mass and charge. Cathode ray tubes use this force to produce images on screens in televisions and computer monitors.