F is diffeomorphism implys df is injective?

In summary: Differentiate the relation f-1 o f = idso df-1odf=I, and df(p) is invertible at every p, and the linear transformation x->df(p)x is injective, is that the logic?If you have two maps such that f o g = id, then this is the same as saying g is injective.
phyalan
Let U be a non-empty open set in Rn, if f:U->Rm is a diffeomorphism onto its image, show that df(p) is injective for all p in U. How can I attack this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate the relation f-1 o f = id

Note that [itex]\mathrm df(p)[/itex] is a linnear transformation between vectorial spaces. The tangent space to [itex]R^n[/itex] at [itex]p[/itex] is [itex]R^n[/itex]. The tangent space to [itex]f(U)[/itex] at [itex]f(p)[/itex] is again [itex]R^n[/itex], so, by Dimension Theorem, [itex]\dim(\ker(\mathrm df(p))=0[/itex], and then, [itex]\mathrm df(p)[/itex] is inyective.

felper, note that the statement of the problem does not assume that m=n. Moreover, in your argument, you seem to be using the rank-nullity formula + the fact that df(p) is surjective. So how would you prove that df(p) is surjective?

[itex]\mathrm df(p)[/itex] is onto its image. Also, if you think [itex]f(U)[/itex] as a manifold, its totally clear it's tangent space is [itex]R^n[/itex].

quasar987 said:
Differentiate the relation f-1 o f = id
so I get df-1odf=I, and df(p) is invertible at every p, and the linear transformation x->df(p)x is injective, is that the logic?

A diffeomorphism gives you an isomorphism between the respective tangent spaces.

So you get an injective linear map between TpU and Tf(p)Rn, but, by dimension reasons, the map cannot be injective.

Still, I think, by, e.g., invariance of domain, you cannot have a diffeomorphic embedding

of U in R^n with f(U) in R^m , unless n=m; otherwise, you get a homeo. between an open

subset of Rn and an open subset (as the image of a diffeomorphism, which sends open sets to open sets) of Rm, contradicting invariance of domain . Notice that the continuous image of an interval is

a curve (and space-filling curves are seriously-non-injective) ; the continuous image

of a square ( an I^2) is a surface, etc. , so continuous maps preserve dimension;

I don't have an actual proof for this, but I think this is a result.

Phyalan, I was wondering if you were precisely asking what I assumed, i.e., that diffeomorphisms between manifolds give rise to isomorphisms between the respective
tangent spaces. If so, Quasar's answer gives you a proof, since (FoG)*=F*oG*, as Quasar said.

phyalan said:
so I get df-1odf=I, and df(p) is invertible at every p, and the linear transformation x->df(p)x is injective, is that the logic?
Well, you do get df-1odf=I, and generally speaking, if you have two maps such that f o g = id, then this is the same as saying g is injective.

Of course, you can also differentiate the other realtion, that is, f o f-1 = id, and this tells you that df is surjective.

So it turns out that df is actually an isomorphism between R^n and R^m, and since you know that those exists only btw vector spaces of the same dimension, this allows you to conclude to the important fact that diffeomorphisms exist only between open subsets of euclidean space of the same dimension.

In fact, the same is true if you replace "diffeomorphism" simply by "homeomorphism". I.e., if f:U-->R^m is a homeomorphism onto its image, then f(U) is open, and m=n. This is the Brouwer invariance of domain theorem that Bacle is talking about in his post.

Here I have got a proof of the question, I am not very sure why bother to do it this way, is it because the image of f, f(U), is not necessarily an open set so the inverse may not exist and the method that I posted above doesn't work?
Pf:
f is di ffeomorphic onto its image f(U) means that if we write f = i o f1 where i: f(U)→ Rm is the inclusion map, then  f1: U → f(U) is a diff eomorphism. So, there is an open neighborhood (denoted by V ) of f(U) in Rm and a smooth map
g : V → Rn
which extends f1-1.Now, if we write f = ivo f2 where iv : V → Rm is the inclusion map, then
f2 : U → V
is a smooth map. By the chain rule, we have Tpf = Tf(p)iv o Tpf2 = Tpf2.
Since we have
g o f2 = 1U
where 1U: U → U is the identity map, by the chain rule, we have
Tf(p)g o Tpf2 = 1 : TpU→ TpU:
Then Tpf2, hence Tpf, is injective.

Maybe rewrite this without the random characters, but it sounds like you are overcomplicating things. Plus, I gave you the whole solution in post #9 (first two sentences)...

phyalan said:
Let U be a non-empty open set in Rn, if f:U->Rm is a diffeomorphism onto its image, show that df(p) is injective for all p in U. How can I attack this problem?

this is just the Chain Rule

To rewrite Quasar's idea,a bit differently, the functoriality properties of the induced map :

i)(FoG)*=F*oG*
ii)(Id)*=Id*

Then, since F is a diffeo, there is a differentiable inverse F-1, so that:

(FoF-1)*=F*oF-1*=Id*. This F-1* is both a right- and left- inverse to F*.

1. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a type of mathematical function that preserves the smoothness and differentiability of a manifold. Basically, it is a way to map points on one manifold to points on another manifold in a smooth and differentiable manner.

2. How is a diffeomorphism related to injectivity?

When a function is a diffeomorphism, it means that it is both one-to-one and onto, or bijective. This implies that the inverse function also exists and is smooth and differentiable. Therefore, the derivative of a diffeomorphism is always injective.

3. What does it mean for df to be injective?

A function f is injective if each element in the range of the function has a unique preimage in the domain. In other words, if two elements in the domain have the same image, then they must be the same element. This ensures that the function preserves the distinctness of its inputs.

4. How does diffeomorphism and injectivity relate to each other?

In the context of differential geometry, diffeomorphisms are useful because they preserve the smooth structure of a manifold, while injectivity ensures that the derivative of the function is well-defined and non-singular. This allows for a smooth and consistent representation of the manifold.

5. What are some real-world applications of diffeomorphisms and injectivity?

Diffeomorphisms and injectivity are used in various fields such as physics, computer graphics, and image processing. In physics, diffeomorphisms are used to study the shape and structure of physical objects, while injectivity is important for ensuring the accuracy of mathematical models. In computer graphics and image processing, these concepts are used for geometric transformations and distortion correction.