Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F(x)=||x|| is Lipschitz function

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    "Let (V,||.||) be a normed vector space. Then by the triangle inequality, the function f(x)=||x|| is a Lipschitz function from V into [0,∞)."

I don't understand how we this follows from the triangle inequality. How does the proof look like?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    [tex]\Big|\|x\| - \|y\| \Big|\le \|x-y\|[/tex]

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    OK, I think that's the "variant triangle inequality". I've seen the proof in R (by the regular triangle inequality), but how can we prove it for normed vector spaces?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  5. Apr 12, 2010 #4

[tex]\Big|\|x\| - \|y\| \Big|\le \|x-y\|[/tex] <=> -||x-y||[tex]\leq||x||-||y||\leq[/tex] ||x-y|| <=> -||x-y|| +||y||[tex]\leq ||x||\leq[/tex] ||x-y|| +||y|| which is correct since

||x|| =||x-y+y||[tex]\leq[/tex] ||y|| +||x-y|| and

||y|| = ||y-x+x||[tex]\leq[/tex] ||x-y||+ ||x||

6. Apr 12, 2010 #5
    Thanks!

Just wondering...is there a analogue of the "variant triangle inequality" in general METRIC SPACES? If so, how does it look like and how does the proof change?

7. Apr 13, 2010 #6

[tex]\left|d(x,0)-d(y,0)\right|\leq d(x,y)[/tex]

The same proof

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  8. Apr 13, 2010 #7
    So in the metric space context, does it mean that the function "d" is always a Lipchitz function as well?

9. Apr 14, 2010 #8
    The Lipschitz function is f(x) =d(x,0) and not d(x,y)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook