Factoring x^6 - y^6 as a difference of squares vs cubes?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 16K views
Esoremada
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Factor x6 - y6

Homework Equations



a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2)
a2 - b2 = (a + b)(a - b)

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm confused.

x6 - y6 = (x2)3 - (y2)3 = (x3)2 - (y3)2

So shouldn't they all have the same factors? When I factor (x2)3 - (y2)3 = (x3)2 - (y3)2 I get different results.

(x3)2 - (y3)2
(x3 - y3)(x3 + y3)
(x - y)(x2 + xy + y2)(x + y)(x2 - xy + y2)(x2)3 - (y2)3
(x2 - y2)((x2)2 + x2y2 + (y2)2)
(x – y)(x + y)(x4 + x2y2 + y4)How do you factor (x4 + x2y2 + y4) into (x2 + xy + y2)(x2 - xy + y2)? Online factorers are saying it's not possible.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Esoremada said:
How do you factor (x4 + x2y2 + y4) into (x2 + xy + y2)(x2 - xy + y2)? Online factorers are saying it's not possible.

x4 + x2y2 + y4= (x4 + 2x2y2 + y4)-x2y2

ehild
 
Esoremada said:

Homework Statement



Factor x6 - y6

Homework Equations



a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2)
a2 - b2 = (a + b)(a - b)

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm confused.

x6 - y6 = (x2)3 - (y2)3 = (x3)2 - (y3)2

So shouldn't they all have the same factors? When I factor (x2)3 - (y2)3 = (x3)2 - (y3)2 I get different results.

(x3)2 - (y3)2
(x3 - y3)(x3 + y3)
(x - y)(x2 + xy + y2)(x + y)(x2 - xy + y2)(x2)3 - (y2)3
(x2 - y2)((x2)2 + x2y2 + (y2)2)
(x – y)(x + y)(x4 + x2y2 + y4)How do you factor (x4 + x2y2 + y4) into (x2 + xy + y2)(x2 - xy + y2)? Online factorers are saying it's not possible.

A little something I also discovered for myself back in high school. I assumed it was a closely guarded secret that only exceptional Mathematicians discover in their lifetimes :wink:
 
You are an exceptional Mathematician then... But our teacher told us in the school that adding and subtracting the same thing does not hurt.:smile:

ehild
 
Well, if you work out the product (x^2 + xy + y^2)(x^2 -xy + y^2) you get the right result. What else do you want?
 
M Quack said:
Well, if you work out the product (x^2 + xy + y^2)(x^2 -xy + y^2) you get the right result. What else do you want?

To find out how to do the factoring if you do not know that these are the factors.

As I wrote before, x4 + x2y2 + y4= (x4 + 2x2y2 + y4)-x2y2=(x2+y2)2-(xy)2.
Apply the identity a2-b2=(a-b)(a+b)


ehild
 
Esoremada said:

Homework Statement



Factor x6 - y6


Homework Equations



a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2)
a2 - b2 = (a + b)(a - b)

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm confused.

x6 - y6 = (x2)3 - (y2)3 = (x3)2 - (y3)2

So shouldn't they all have the same factors? When I factor (x2)3 - (y2)3 = (x3)2 - (y3)2 I get different results.

(x3)2 - (y3)2
(x3 - y3)(x3 + y3)
(x - y)(x2 + xy + y2)(x + y)(x2 - xy + y2)


(x2)3 - (y2)3
(x2 - y2)((x2)2 + x2y2 + (y2)2)
(x – y)(x + y)(x4 + x2y2 + y4)


How do you factor (x4 + x2y2 + y4) into (x2 + xy + y2)(x2 - xy + y2)? Online factorers are saying it's not possible.

What online factorers are you using? Certainly Maple can do it with no problem (although it is not an on-line package_.

RGV
 
I understand now, thanks for the help :smile:

Not going to trust that website as much anymore
 
Esoremada said:
How do you factor (x4 + x2y2 + y4)? Online factorers are saying it's not possible.

ehild said:
x4 + x2y2 + y4= (x4 + 2x2y2 + y4) - x2y2

What ehild has shown is the difference of two squares, not factors. Note the problem statement is asking for the difference of two squares.
 
Last edited:
rcgldr said:
What ehild has shown is the difference of two squares, not factors. Note the problem statement is asking for the difference of two squares.

@rcgldr
I must not give full solution. It was a hint. The difference of two squares is easy to factorize.

hild
 
ehild said:
@rcgldr - I must not give full solution. It was a hint. The difference of two squares is easy to factorize.
I somehow missed post #6 where you explained this.
 
Last edited: