Fairly simple rolling and slipping ball problem.

In summary: Yes. In summary, a ball of radius r and mass m rolls without slipping up a ramp inclined at an angle phi to the horizontal, reaching a maximum height h. The angular velocity omega at the base of the ramp can be derived as (10gh/7(r^2))^(0.5) using the equation mgh = 1/2 * mv^2 + 1/2 Iw^2. When the ball is initially launched without rotation towards the ramp on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of sliding friction mu, the ball slides along the surface and begins to roll, eventually stopping slipping before reaching the ramp. The time t taken for it to stop sliding can be expressed as t = (8h/35
cpfoxhunt

Homework Statement

A ball radius r mass m starts rolling without slipping up a ramp inclinced at an angle phi to the horizontal, and reaches a maximum hight, h. Derive an expression for the angular velocity, omega, that the ball has at the base of the ramp (ignore rolling friction throughout question.).

b) The ball is initially launched without rotation towards the ramp on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of sliding friction, mu. The ball slides along the surface, begins to roll, and stops slipping before it reaches the ramp. Find an expression for the time, t, raken for it to stop sliding in terms of h, g and mu.

c) by considering the initial velocity v0 and the resistence felt by the ball before it begins to roll, derive an expression relating its initial and final energies in terms of the sliding distance s.

find x, v0, and t taking values h = 0.25m, r = 2cm, m = 50g and mu = 0.3

Homework Equations

When something undergoes pure rolling motion, v = rw

The Attempt at a Solution

- w = omega u = mu

a) Energy at top = mgh. mgh = 1/2 * mv^2 + 1/2 Iw^2 . I know that as it is rolling, v = rw, and solve to get omega = (10gh/7(r^2))^(0.5) (using I = 2/5 ma^2 if a is the radius)

b) here's where it gets a little dodgy - I assume that there is a rotational equation even though it is sliding (i.e. that it is rotating a little bit but not pure rotation) - is this valid?

I(dw/dt) = umgr , integrate once w.r.t time to get w = t(5ug/2r) where the moment of inertia for a sphere has been used. I then equate this to my earlier figure from a), and get (8h/35gu^2)^(0.5) - is this right?

c) I say that initial energy = 0.5m(v0)^2 and this minus the final energy of slipping (equal to 1/2 * I * w^2 where w is the omega in a) ) = Fx where F is the resistive force during the slipping, and x is slipping distance.

I can then work out t pretty easily, and am not sure how to get X and v0.

Any help is very greatly appreciated,
Cheers
Cpfoxhunt

EDIT: i initially did this using I for a disk (where I is inertia), and have corrected it a bit hurriedly - some of my multiplying fractions might be a bit out?

Physics news on Phys.org
cpfoxhunt said:
c) I say that initial energy = 0.5m(v0)^2 and this minus the final energy of slipping (equal to 1/2 * I * w^2 where w is the omega in a) ) = Fx where F is the resistive force during the slipping, and x is slipping distance.

I can then work out t pretty easily, and am not sure how to get X and v0.

The sliding frictional force stops acting as soon as rolling without slipping is achieved, and v becomes equal to rw.

The work F*x done by the frictional force should be equal to the (initial KE-final KE). The final KE should be (1/2)Iw^2+(1/2)mv^2, where v=rw.

The rest of the work looks very correct.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I used that relation to work out part a), and now have a single equation Fx = unknown initial ke (v0 dependant) - known final ke. there are three unknowns which I am asked to calculate here. How can I calculate them?
Cheers
Cpfoxhunt

cpfoxhunt said:
and now have a single equation Fx = unknown initial ke (v0 dependant) - known final ke.

[(½)mv0^2 - {(½)mv^2 + (½)Iw^2} = µmg*x. This is the one you have used, I think.]

It starts to roll due to sliding friction. The sliding friction stops once v=rw is reached.

For the time when it is sliding and rolling, you have to use (for the rotational motion),

F*r = I(dw/dt) until w becomes v/r from zero, and,

F = m(d^2x/dt^2), until the velocity becomes v from v0, and x goes from 0 to x.

um...is v not constantly equal to rw? because the ratio of linear velocity and angular is constant?

1. What is a rolling and slipping ball problem?

A rolling and slipping ball problem is a physics problem that involves a ball rolling and slipping on a surface. The ball is typically subject to forces such as gravity, friction, and air resistance, and the goal is often to determine the ball's motion or position at a given time.

2. How is rolling different from slipping?

Rolling is when the ball rotates and moves forward without slipping, while slipping is when the ball is moving forward but also sliding or slipping on the surface it is rolling on. In a rolling and slipping ball problem, it is important to consider both the rolling and slipping motion of the ball.

3. What are the equations used to solve a rolling and slipping ball problem?

The equations used to solve a rolling and slipping ball problem depend on the specific scenario, but they often involve Newton's laws of motion, torque, and kinematic equations. The specific equations used will depend on the forces acting on the ball and the information given in the problem.

4. How do you account for friction in a rolling and slipping ball problem?

Friction is an important force to consider in a rolling and slipping ball problem because it can affect both the rolling and slipping motion of the ball. The coefficient of friction between the ball and the surface it is rolling on is typically used in calculations to account for the effects of friction.

5. Can a rolling and slipping ball problem be solved using only theoretical calculations?

In most cases, a rolling and slipping ball problem can be solved using theoretical calculations and equations. However, in some cases, experimental data or real-world observations may be needed to accurately solve the problem. Additionally, computer simulations can also be used to solve more complex rolling and slipping ball problems.