1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling chain center of mass dynamics

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    Not sure if this is in the right subforum but:

A chain of uniform mass density, length b, and mass M hangs in a loop from the ceiling (both its ends are adjacent to each other) At time t = 0, one end, end B is released. Find the tension in the chain at point A after end B has fallen a distance x by a) assuming free fall b) by using energy conservation

This is an example in Marion/Thornton's Classical dynamics of systems and particles.
    They start of by stating that the time derivative of the center of mass momentum is equal to the weight minus the tension. I do not fundamentally understand this. Why is the tension not just equal to the instantaneous weight of the side of the chain that is immobile???

In other wods, I tried to use this:
    T = (M+[tex]\rho[/tex]dx)g

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is in the right subforum... ?

but the book starts off with

[tex]\dot{P}[/tex] = Mg - T

What is the physical significance of that equation? I think I understand it sort of... but doesn't this mean that the downwards force could be greater than the tension... and then that the chain would fall off the ceiling? I don't really understand the physical significance of this
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The chain is falling...sort of. At [itex]t=0[/itex] one end is released and the chain begins to uncoil as that end falls downwards. During that free-fall period, the center of mass of the chain will be moving downwards, so the tension is not equal to the weight.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook