1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Dynamics -- Falling chain and energy conservation

1. Nov 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The statement of the question is:

A chain of uniform linear mass density ##\rho##, length ##b## and mass ##M## hands as shown in the figure below. At time t=0, the ends A and B are adjacent, but end B is released. Find the tension in the chain at point A after end B has fallen a distance x by using energy conservation.

Refer to the figure:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/RGmud.jpg

I can solve this example (from Marion and Thornton Classical Dynamics 5e) easily from assuming a free fall and summing force. I however do not follow the example's solution using conservation of energy.

The example states:

We treat the chain as one-dimensional motion ignoring the small horizontal motion. Let the potential energy ##U## be measured relative to the fixed end of the chain so that the initial potential energy ##U(t=0)= U_0 = -\rho g b^2 /4##. A careful geometric construction shows that the potential energy after the chain has dropped a distance ##x## is

##U=-\frac{1}{4} \rho g (b^2 +2bx - x^2)##

I can reproduce the initial potential energy via integration, that is to say, with ##U(x=0)=0##

##U=2mgh=2g\rho \int_{\frac{b}{2}}^{0} x dx =- \rho g b^2 /4##

but am still unable to reproduce the falling chain potential. Can anyone help me derive the expression for the potential energy as the chain falls,

##U=-\frac{1}{4} \rho g (b^2 +2bx - x^2)##

Thank you.

2. Relevant equations

##U=mgh##

3. The attempt at a solution

Let ##U(x=0) = 0##. The initial potential is derived above. When the chain falls by an amount x on the B side, the same length ##x## is added to the A side.

On the ##A## side:

##U=mgh = g \rho \int_{\frac{b}{2} + x}^{0} x dx = -\frac{g\rho (x+b/2)^2}{2}##

Similarly, on the ##B## side:

##U=mgh = g \rho \int_{\frac{b}{2} - x}^{x} x dx =\frac{g \rho [ x^2 - (b/2 -x)^2 ]}{2}##

We next sum these two expressions yielding:

##U = \frac{-g\rho (x+b/2)^2 + g \rho [ x^2 - (b/2 -x)^2 ]}{2}##

which, after expanding we see the ##bx## terms cancel, and therefore does not reproduce the solution

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The length of the A side is ##\frac{b+x}{2}##, not ##\frac{b}{2}+x##. The length of the B side adjusts accordingly.

Make these changes and it will work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted