Terminal velocity of a 195 lb man with category 5 hurricane winds pushing downward

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Lotuschild
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I will ask the question first and give the reason why I'm asking after.

Question: Approximately how fast can a 5'11" tall man weighing 195 lbs. fall towards the ground if he's 3 miles above the surface and has control over the winds of a category 5 hurricane storm to propell him downwards?

Reason: I'm playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons and find myself in control of the weather and able to fly and such. I'm in the middle of a battle when my character decides to use both himself and the winds to push an enemy into the ground. He grabs hold of his target, which is flying 3 miles above ground and proceeds to push him down into the ground, using gavity and the winds at his disposal to push past average terminal velocity. I was told that he would be traveling less than 250 mph, I just thought he'd be going faster. I'm no good at physics, so I will greatly appreciate any answer and explanation I can get. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lotuschild said:
I will ask the question first and give the reason why I'm asking after.

Question: Approximately how fast can a 5'11" tall man weighing 195 lbs. fall towards the ground if he's 3 miles above the surface and has control over the winds of a category 5 hurricane storm to propell him downwards?

Reason: I'm playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons and find myself in control of the weather and able to fly and such. I'm in the middle of a battle when my character decides to use both himself and the winds to push an enemy into the ground. He grabs hold of his target, which is flying 3 miles above ground and proceeds to push him down into the ground, using gavity and the winds at his disposal to push past average terminal velocity. I was told that he would be traveling less than 250 mph, I just thought he'd be going faster. I'm no good at physics, so I will greatly appreciate any answer and explanation I can get. Thanks!
Welcome to the PF.

Hurricane winds go mostly sideways, don't they?

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/hurricane-orig.jpg
hurricane-orig.jpg
 
Lotuschild said:
In the game I can control them to go any direction I'd like.
Then I guess I would just add the normal terminal velocity of a skydiver to the downward velocity of your wind.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lotuschild