Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falsity of assumptions question.

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    In the course of proving that [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] is irrational, I had another question pop up. To prove that [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] is irrational, I first assumed 2 things: [itex] \sqrt{3}[/itex] is rational, and the rational form of [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] is in it's lowest form. I then broke the proof up into cases and showed that none of these cases could occur.

My question boils down to: did I actually show that [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] is irrational?

From a purely logical standpoint, let's say that the 2 assumptions I made were named A and B. I successfully showed that A [itex] \wedge [/itex] B is false. However, this doesn't mean that BOTH A and B are false. More specifically, A could be true and B could be false, and I would still arrive at A [itex] \wedge [/itex] B being false.

On the other hand, the second assumption that was made (the rational form of [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] is in it's lowest form) shouldn't (doesn't?) change the problem.

Could someone give me solace and explain this little technicality I have? Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are merely assuming that, then you do have a problem, and you have merely proved:
    If sqrt(3) is rational, then it cannot be expressed as a fraction in lowest terms​
    (or something equivalent)

But you don't have to merely assume that a rational number can be written in lowest terms, do you?

4. Aug 10, 2011 #3
    So this isn't really an assumption, per se? This is more of a 'without loss of generality' statement?

5. Aug 10, 2011 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, although I wouldn't have chosen that phrasing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook