Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Family of Functions Question?(graph)

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    Hi whats up, Can someone tell me what it means to create 3 sub functions that have both points of intersection with the x-axis in common? Like i understand if you are making a family with the same x-coord you could have something like this (4,0)(4,3)(4,5) but how do you graph a family with BOTH X-axis in common? What does this mean.

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2
    Well those are just three points, only one of which lies on the x-axis. You want three functions that intersect at the same points along the x-axis. I can give you hints for two functions to start out with. See if you can augment them to create two separate families, where each family is a set of three functions that all have the same x-intercepts.

One function is f(x)=cos(x). The other is g(x)=x2.

Also, I'm little confused by the bolded sentence above, so if I got the wrong idea, let me know.

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a graph of a quadratic function crosses the x-axis at x0 and x1, the function must be of the form y= a(x- x0)(x- x1[/sup]). Choose three different values of a to get three different functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook