Family of quadratic functions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 5K views
mathman100
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
This question has been killing me for days, :
Give a family of quadratic functions of the form y=ax^2+bx+c, that passes through the following points:
(1,1) and (2,0)
I see how we can find the family, but how do we find the specific functions that pass through both those points? I tried making two separate equations (1 for each point, like(1,1) I would sub in for x and y) but that didn't give me anything useful. Even if I use elimination for the 2 equations, I don't know where it will get me...what should i do?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathman100 said:
I tried making two separate equations (1 for each point, like(1,1) I would sub in for x and y) but that didn't give me anything useful.

Of course it does. You get the two equations

[tex]1 = a + b + c[/tex]

and

[tex]0 = 4a + 2b + c,[/tex]

which can be solved to get [itex]b = -1 - 3a[/itex] and [itex]c = 2(a+1)[/itex] with no conditions on [itex]a[/itex]. So what's your family of functions?
 
Really? Well first of all I put down the wrong 2 points (aorry, my fault) they should be (1,) and (-1,-2). I got 0=a+b+c and -2=a-b+c. I solved to get b=-1 and i think c=-1-a. I don't know how to continue!
 
well, if b=-1 and c=-1-a in ax^2 + bx + c then what do the polynomials that go through those points look like?
 
i don't know, now I'm lost:rolleyes: do you mean like a parabola? a linear line with a slope? how do i define the family? why can't i just sub in the known values of b and c:
ax^2-x-1-a?
 
you can! that is exactly the "family" it's looking for: all the quadratics with the form [itex]a^2 + x - 1 - a[/itex] for nonzero constants [itex]a[/itex] (you actually made an error earlier. You should have found [itex]b=1[/itex], not [itex]b=-1[/itex]). :-p
 
Data said:
you can! that is exactly the "family" it's looking for: all the quadratics with the form [itex]a^2 + x - 1 - a[/itex] for nonzero constants [itex]a[/itex]
should it be [tex]a^2 + x - 1 - a[/tex]? or [tex]ax^2 + x - 1 - a[/tex]?
 
[itex]ax^2 + x - 1 -a.[/itex] I'm not very good at typing!