Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Family of quadratic functions?

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    This question has been killing me for days, :
    Give a family of quadratic functions of the form y=ax^2+bx+c, that passes through the following points:
    (1,1) and (2,0)
    I see how we can find the family, but how do we find the specific functions that pass through both those points? I tried making two separate equations (1 for each point, like(1,1) I would sub in for x and y) but that didn't give me anything useful. Even if I use elimination for the 2 equations, I don't know where it will get me....what should i do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2
    Of course it does. You get the two equations

[tex]1 = a + b + c[/tex]

[tex]0 = 4a + 2b + c,[/tex]

which can be solved to get [itex]b = -1 - 3a[/itex] and [itex]c = 2(a+1)[/itex] with no conditions on [itex]a[/itex]. So what's your family of functions?
  4. Sep 26, 2006 #3
    Really? Well first of all I put down the wrong 2 points (aorry, my fault) they should be (1,) and (-1,-2). I got 0=a+b+c and -2=a-b+c. I solved to get b=-1 and i think c=-1-a. I don't know how to continue!
  5. Sep 26, 2006 #4
    woops, points= (1,0) and (-1,-2)
  6. Sep 26, 2006 #5
    does anyone know?
  7. Sep 26, 2006 #6
    well, if b=-1 and c=-1-a in ax^2 + bx + c then what do the polynomials that go through those points look like?
  8. Sep 26, 2006 #7
    i don't know, now i'm lost:uhh: do you mean like a parabola? a linear line with a slope? how do i define the family? why can't i just sub in the known values of b and c:
  9. Sep 26, 2006 #8
    you can! that is exactly the "family" it's looking for: all the quadratics with the form [itex]a^2 + x - 1 - a[/itex] for nonzero constants [itex]a[/itex] (you actually made an error earlier. You should have found [itex]b=1[/itex], not [itex]b=-1[/itex]). :tongue2:
  10. Sep 28, 2006 #9
    should it be [tex]a^2 + x - 1 - a[/tex]? or [tex]ax^2 + x - 1 - a[/tex]?
  11. Sep 28, 2006 #10
    [itex]ax^2 + x - 1 -a.[/itex] I'm not very good at typing!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?