Famous Old Elementary Algebra Textbook Recommendations?

In summary, the conversation was about a request for recommendations on renowned old elementary algebra textbooks from the 1900s-1940s. The book "Van der Waerden's" was mentioned, which was first published in the 1930s in German or Dutch. Another suggestion was George Chrystal's "Algebra: An Elementary Textbook", which is available online and was well-known but not widely used.
w.delaney
Hello,

I apologize in advance for the odd nature of this question. Can anyone recommend any renowned old (circa 1900s-1940s) elementary algebra textbooks? I have for a while been searching for some (as a hobby I collect old math texts), but it has been very difficult to determine which were most prominent and widely-used. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Bill

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Van der Waerden's book was first published in the 1930's. Tho it is written in

either German or Dutch. Is that what you are looking for.?

You might take a look at George Chrystal's "Algebra: An Elementary Textbook". It's available online:

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupid?key=olbp36404

It's old-style algebra, not groups, rings etc. I don't know how widely it was used, but it was "well-known". Dover republished it around 1960, I think.

1. What are some famous old elementary algebra textbooks?

Some of the most famous old elementary algebra textbooks include "Algebra for Beginners" by Isaac Todhunter, "Elementary Algebra" by G. Chrystal, and "A First Course in Algebra" by H. S. Hall and S. R. Knight.

2. Why are these textbooks considered famous and old?

These textbooks are considered famous because they have been used for many years and have been recommended by educators and mathematicians. They are also considered old because they were written and published in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

3. Are these textbooks still relevant and useful for learning elementary algebra?

While these textbooks may not cover all the modern concepts and techniques in algebra, they still provide a solid foundation for understanding the fundamentals of the subject. They can be a useful resource for students looking to strengthen their basic algebra skills.

4. Can these textbooks be used as a primary resource for learning algebra?

It depends on the individual's learning style and needs. These textbooks may not be sufficient as a primary resource for learning algebra, as they may not cover all the topics in a modern algebra curriculum. However, they can be a valuable supplement to other resources and can provide a different perspective on the subject.

5. Are there any new editions or updated versions of these famous old textbooks?

Some of these textbooks have been updated and reprinted with new editions, while others remain in their original form. It is always recommended to check for the latest editions or updated versions to ensure that you are using the most current and relevant material.