Farewell to ahrkron, Welcome MIH to PF Staff

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 11K views
Moonbear said:
Sorry for the belated congrats. I wasn't around when MIH got promoted (I was off having far too much fun in Chicago. :biggrin:) Congrats! Now, those bathrooms in the mentor's forum really need some scrubbing, and we're waiting on a fresh pot of coffee. :biggrin:

Gosh! I had no idea how much work newbie mentors do. Let's see.. I washed and waxed chroot's bike, dusted Zapper's Disney figurines, sheared Moonbear's sheep, flea-dipped Evo's possums, archived Ivan's Area 51 photos, and washed blackboards for Tom Mattson and Halls of Ivy. Coffee will be ready soon -- decaf is in the pot with the orange handle. I'd better get to work on the bathrooms now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Gosh! I had no idea how much work newbie mentors do. Let's see..., and washed blackboards for Tom Mattson and Halls of Ivy. ...



Tell me you didn't! You have no idea how long they have been working on that set of equation! :biggrin:


Personal experience. A prof in the Physics dept was getting moved out of his office, Since he was gone, I was tasked with packing his bookshelves. One of the boxes was left to close to the garbage can, the janitors assumed it was meant to go... 20yrs worth or research was irretrievably lost. Dr. Wasserman I am still sorry about that incident.

Edit:

Oh yeah, Welcome aboard MIH!
 
Last edited:
Integral said:
Personal experience. A prof in the Physics dept was getting moved out of his office, Since he was gone, I was tasked with packing his bookshelves. One of the boxes was left to close to the garbage can, the janitors assumed it was meant to go... 20yrs worth or research was irretrievably lost. Dr. Wasserman I am still sorry about that incident.

So that explains the dartboard in his office with your picture on it!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
So that explains the dartboard in his office with your picture on it!

I would not doubt it for a second, to say the least he was unhappy.


Edit:

Now I feel old, just went to the OSU Physics dept web page to see if Dr. W was still around. I only know 4 of the active profs. Went to the emeritus page, found everyone, including Dr.W that I worked with...only 25yrs ago.
 
Last edited:
Integral said:
I would not doubt it for a second, to say the least he was unhappy.

I once pulled a handful of hypodermic needles and syringes out of my jacket pocket in front of Dr. Fairchild... while in class. I forgot that they were in there, and I don't know if Fairchild ever did believe that they were for the goats. Boy, did I feel conspicuous.

Btw MIH, those weren't area 51 pics, that was area 52. Now don't you feel silly? :-p
 
Integral said:
Tell me you didn't! You have no idea how long they have been working on that set of equation! :biggrin:

:smile: Actually, I frequently keep a combination of a to-do list and experiment ideas, notes, etc., on the blackboard in my office, especially when I'm writing grants and have to plan out the preliminary data still needed and keep shuffling/rewriting aims until I'm satisfied with them. We got a new janitor in the middle of all that, who promptly went around and washed every blackboard in the building. :cry: I had to leave a big note "Do NOT Erase!" from then on. They have since realized that blackboards in offices are not the same as blackboards in classrooms (I'm sure I'm not the only one this happened to and who was upset about it).