Faster or slower to crush cans?

I've built a can crusher that uses 2 air filled tires to flatten the cans.
My question:
Which theory is correct?
A) Spin the tires faster, The momentum of the heavy rubber tire will effectively crush the cans "flatter"
B) Spin the tire slower, giving the air pressure in the tires more time to flatten the cans

The tires are in constant contact with each other, and I normally run 20Psi of air in each tire.
1 tire rotates clockwise, the other, counter clockwise. When a can is dropped onto the tires, it is pulled in between the tires, and crushed.

jrmichler

Science Advisor
While aluminum has a strain rate sensitivity, the effect is small over the range of strain rates in crushing cans.

The tire tread deflects when crushing a can, so the inertia of the tire tread will tend to increase crushing force at higher speeds.

The air in the can gets compressed at higher speeds because it flows out through an orifice (the opening), which would tend to reduce the net crushing force at higher speeds.

All of these effects are difficult to calculate, but my best guess is that speed will have a small effect. I think that the largest single effect will be from tire pressure.

berkeman

Mentor
Welcome to the PF, John. :smile:

Is this hand-powered? Or do you have 1-2 electric motors spinning the tires?

If hand-powered, how many cans to you crush at a time? Only one every hour or so, or do you do a whole trash bag full of cans at a time?

How do you orient the cans when you feed them in between the tires? On the same axis as the spin axis of the tires, or so that the top and bottom of the can contact the two tires at the same time?

And are you aware of the trick that makes crushing cans about 10x easier? It's pre-dimpling the sides of the can to weaken it...

berkeman

Mentor
Yeah, I crush my cans all the time by hand; it's really easy if you know the tricks. Pre-dimple the middle of the can with 4 dimples (two hands at the same time, thumbs and middle fingers). Then crush it end-to-end with a twisting motion. Be a little careful that the middle of the can doesn't tear during the crush, or you could nick your hand on the tear's sharp edge.

Easy peasy. :smile:

Welcome to the PF, John. :smile:

Is this hand-powered? Or do you have 1-2 electric motors spinning the tires?

If hand-powered, how many cans to you crush at a time? Only one every hour or so, or do you do a whole trash bag full of cans at a time?

How do you orient the cans when you feed them in between the tires? On the same axis as the spin axis of the tires, or so that the top and bottom of the can contact the two tires at the same time?

And are you aware of the trick that makes crushing cans about 10x easier? It's pre-dimpling the sides of the can to weaken it...
I am using (1) 1/2hp motor with a dual belt speed reduction system to slow it down to something less than frightening LOL!
1 tire drives the other.
Cans are dropped from above through a short tube (safety) and enter the tire crushing area vertically.
It can/will crush the cans as fast as I can drop them into the tube (they come out faster than they go in right now). As such, no need to dimple. Though that reminds me if stupid games we would play as kids. Stand on and empty can, try not to let it get crushed until you are only supported by the can, then, as quickly as you can, tap the side, but get your fingers out before the can gets crushed.
How did we survive ?!?!?

I'll try to post a video when I get home.

berkeman

Mentor
Yeah, a video would definitely be fun! :smile:

B) Spin the tire slower, giving the air pressure in the tires more time to flatten the cans
Those small AL cans and those tires - I don't think there is much a difference regarding the tires itself, it is an overkill anyway.
The reason I would suggest to speed down a bit is due the cans instead: the air pressure building up within due the fast compression.