1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fastest interpolation method for attitude quaternions?

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    I hesitated between posting this in the Mathematics forum or here, but since it's fairly applied, I chose this place. Sorry if it should've gone somewhere else.

I posted another thread earlier (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=599737), about having trouble finding the quaternion derivative from the quaternion and the angular velocity. That problem is now resolved. I mentioned that I interpolate the quaternion derivatives to find a continous function.

The interpolation method used is least-squares fitting using a n-degree polynomial (n varies between 3 and 7, this is determined automatically), resulting in four n-degree polynomials, one for each quaternion component. This works fine.

I estimated the error in the interpolation by resampling (using the polynomials above) the quaternion component derivatives at the same dates used for the interpolation, and then calculating the angle between a quaternion derivative before and after interpolation. It is in the order of 10-5 radians. Is this a correct method of estimating the error or is there a better way?

I would also like the explore other interpolation methods, that are perhaps more suited for quaternions. The point of all this is to calculate the rotation of a spacecraft (i.e., a body-fixed frame) relative a fixed frame (in this case the local orbital frame). I found a document (http://www.geometrictools.com/Documentation/Quaternions.pdf) detailing three other methods: Spherical Linear Interpolation, Spherical Cubic Interpolation and Spline Interpolation. Are these better for interpolating quaternions? If yes, then why?

The goals of trying out other interpolation methods are mainly:

1. Precision (minimizing the interpolation error)
    2. Minimizing computation time

Thanks in advance!

vicjun

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted