Quaternions and Direction Cosine Matrix changing in time

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem where the aerodynamic equations on the missile are in the body axis frame, but they need to be converted in the inertial axis frame. The author is using the JPL quaternion convention, which means that the last element of the quaternion vector is scalar, not the first. This is causing a problem because the equation of the DCM to the euler angles is not correct. The author is looking for a relation between the DCM from the I frame to the B frame in time, but they don't know how to do it. They are looking for a DCM that includes the E frame, but in the end they are using the matrix from the
Jared Finneker
TL;DR Summary
Quaternions and Direction Cosine Matrix changing in time. Need to find the DCM from an inertial to body fixed frame (or vice versa). Quaternion convention is JPL
I've already posted this question on the mathematics website of stack exchange, but I've received more help here in the past so will share it here as well.

I am developing a tool for missile trajectory (currently without guidance). One issue is that the aerodynamic equations on the missile are in the body axis frame. I need to convert them in the inertial axis frame.
Lets make one thing clear: I am using the JPL quaternion convention. This means that it is the last element of the quaternion vector that is scalar, not the first. This is a left handed convention.
I cannot state the details of the paper here as its locked behind a paywall, but I will include the function that is causing most confusion:

$$ C_{{q}^{I}_{B}}(0) = \begin{bmatrix}0&0&1\\0&-1&0\\1&0&0\end{bmatrix} C_{{q}^{E}_{L}}C_{{q}^{I}_{E}}(0)$$

the notation is the following: C refers to the DCM relative to a quaternion q, whose superscript denotes the frame your are transferring from, and subscript the frame you are transferring to. As such, it reads: for the initial state, the DCM for reference frame transformation of the I frame (Inertial) to the B frame (Body fixed) is the matrix above, times the DCM of the ECEF frame (Earth centered) to L frame (launch pad frame) times the DCM from the I frame to ECEF frame at the initial state.

It should be noted that the I and ECEF (E frame) are rotating with respect to one another, in fact it is the ECEF frame that is rotating, and as such any DCM that includes the E frame is a time relation and not a constant value matrix. The same is true for the B frame (body fixed), the rocket is moving in space and therefore $$C_{{q}^{I}_{B}}$$ is a time dependent matrix.

The matrix above should be the matrix of transformation from the Launch pad frame to the Body axis frame, however I do not agree with the result. The paper states that at launch the euler angles are pi, pi/2 and 0.
I have been following Zarchan and other resources that use the Hamilton convention- this is where the quaternion vector has the scalar as its first value. My concern is that the convention is causing the issue because the equation of the DCM to the euler angles is not correct. As such I cannot derive the needed DCM from the I to the B frame. So what is the relation of the DCM from the I frame to the B frame in time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the launch pad frame defined? NED? I haven't used quaternions in years, so I wouldn't remember how they factor in all this, but usually when transforming from an NED frame to the body frame you use the following DCM:

##\begin{bmatrix}

\cos(\phi_2) \cos(\phi_1) & \cos(\phi_2) \sin(\phi_1) & -\sin(\phi_2) \\[0.3em]

-\sin(\phi_1) \cos(\phi_3) + \sin(\phi_3) \sin(\phi_2) \cos(\phi_1) & \cos(\phi_3) \cos(\phi_1) + \sin(\phi_3) \sin(\phi_2) \sin(\phi_1) & \sin(\phi_3) \cos(\phi_2) \\[0.3em]

\sin(\phi_3)\sin(\phi_1) + \cos(\phi_3) \sin(\phi_2) \cos(\phi_1) & -\sin(\phi_3) \cos(\phi_1) + \cos(\phi_3) \sin(\phi_2) \sin(\phi_1) & \cos(\phi_3) \cos(\phi_2)

\end{bmatrix}
##

Where ##\phi_1## is yaw, ##\phi_2## is pitch and ##\phi_3## is the roll angle. Then you just need to multiply that with the transformations from ECEF to NED and the transformation from ECI to ECEF.

Hi there,

I'm not an expert in missile trajectory, but I'll do my best to help with the information you've provided. It sounds like you're having trouble with the DCM transformation from the inertial frame to the body fixed frame, specifically with the rotation of the Earth-centered frame.

From what I understand, the equation you've provided is for the initial state, which means it may not accurately reflect the time-dependent nature of the DCM. Have you tried incorporating the time-dependent rotation of the Earth-centered frame into the equation?

Additionally, it seems like the JPL quaternion convention may be causing some confusion. Have you tried converting the quaternion to the Hamilton convention and then using the Zarchan method to derive the DCM?

I hope this helps, but if you need further clarification or assistance, please let me know. Good luck with your project!

1. What are quaternions and direction cosine matrix?

Quaternions and direction cosine matrix are mathematical concepts used in representing and manipulating rotations in three-dimensional space. Quaternions are a four-dimensional extension of complex numbers, while direction cosine matrix is a 3x3 matrix that represents the orientation of a body in space.

2. How do quaternions and direction cosine matrix change in time?

Quaternions and direction cosine matrix change in time as the orientation of a body changes. This can be due to external forces acting on the body or the body's own motion. The change in time is represented by a time derivative, which describes the rate of change of the quaternion or matrix.

3. What is the advantage of using quaternions over Euler angles?

One advantage of using quaternions over Euler angles is that they do not suffer from the problem of gimbal lock. Gimbal lock occurs when two of the three axes of rotation become aligned, causing a loss of one degree of freedom. Quaternions also have a more compact representation and are less prone to numerical errors.

4. How are quaternions and direction cosine matrix related?

Quaternions and direction cosine matrix are related through a mathematical conversion known as the quaternion-to-matrix conversion. This conversion allows for the representation of rotations in both quaternion and matrix form, making it easier to switch between the two representations.

5. How are quaternions and direction cosine matrix used in real-world applications?

Quaternions and direction cosine matrix are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and aerospace engineering. They are particularly useful in applications that require precise and efficient representation of rotations, such as in 3D animation and spacecraft attitude control systems.