Fastest way to calculate the following equations

• Thread starter Kyoma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the value of n in a set of equations involving unknowns a and d. It is determined that using a computer, specifically WolframAlpha, would be the easiest way to solve these equations. However, without a computer, the equations can be simplified and substituted to obtain a quadratic equation in n. Ultimately, it is found that the value of n can be easily determined using a simple linear equation.
Kyoma

Homework Statement

Find n.

5a + 10d = 26

5a + 5/2(n-1)d + 5/2(n-5)d = 726

n/2(2a + (n-1)d) = 10904

Note that a and d are unknowns as well.

2. The attempt at a solution

It is extremely tedious to calculate by hand. Furthermore, my calculator is only able to solve both linear equations and quadratic equations in the form of ax + b and ax^2 + bx + c respectively, where a, b and c are known constants. However, the above equations give me unknowns like nd, na, which I am unable to key it into the calculator. Hence, is there a better way to solve the above equations? Much help appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have access to a computer, use that. WolframAlpha can solve it directly with your equations.

Without a computer: I would simplify the second equation to
26-10d + 5d/2 (2n-6) = 726 (using the first equation to get rid of a) and then
-2d + d (n-3)=140
d(n-5)=140
Therefore, d=140/(n-5)

Using this in the last equation gives a cubic equation -> bad. If d is an integer, n has to be at least 145. As 145/2*145 is of the order of 10904, I would try this first. n=145, d=1, a=16/5 leads to a solution, and I think the derivative of the last equation with respect to n will show that this is the only solution.

mfb said:
If you have access to a computer, use that. WolframAlpha can solve it directly with your equations.

Without a computer: I would simplify the second equation to
26-10d + 5d/2 (2n-6) = 726 (using the first equation to get rid of a) and then
-2d + d (n-3)=140
d(n-5)=140
Therefore, d=140/(n-5)

Using this in the last equation gives a cubic equation -> bad. If d is an integer, n has to be at least 145. As 145/2*145 is of the order of 10904, I would try this first. n=145, d=1, a=16/5 leads to a solution, and I think the derivative of the last equation with respect to n will show that this is the only solution.

You can get a quadratic equation in n, by solving the first eqn for a in terms of d, substituting that into the second equation to get a simple linear equation for d in in terms of n. Then, substituting both into the third equation gives a quadratic in n.

Oh right, it is just a quadratic equation.
An ugly one, however.

mfb said:
Oh right, it is just a quadratic equation.
An ugly one, however.

I think I must have made a typo when entering the equations before; when I (or Maple) do it again I obtain a very simple linear equation for n (not a quadratic). Solving the first two equations for 'a' and 'd' in terms of n, we have
d = 140/(n-5), a = 2/5*(13*n-765)/(n-5). Putting these into the third equation gives something surprisingly simple.

What is the fastest way to calculate an equation?

The fastest way to calculate an equation depends on the complexity of the equation and the tools available. Some commonly used methods include using a calculator, using mental math strategies, or using mathematical shortcuts.

Can I use a calculator to calculate equations quickly?

Yes, calculators are a useful tool for quickly calculating equations. However, it is important to understand how to use the calculator correctly and to double-check the results for accuracy.

What are some mental math strategies that can help me calculate equations faster?

Some mental math strategies include breaking down the equation into smaller, simpler parts, using estimation to get a rough answer, and using patterns and relationships between numbers to simplify calculations.

Are there any mathematical shortcuts that can help me calculate equations faster?

Yes, there are several mathematical shortcuts that can help speed up calculations. Some examples include the distributive property, the order of operations, and the commutative and associative properties.

Is there a universal fastest way to calculate all types of equations?

No, there is no universal fastest way to calculate all types of equations. The fastest method will vary depending on the specific equation and the individual's skills and tools available.