1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fastest way to calculate the following equations

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find n.

5a + 10d = 26

5a + 5/2(n-1)d + 5/2(n-5)d = 726

n/2(2a + (n-1)d) = 10904

Note that a and d are unknowns as well.

2. The attempt at a solution

It is extremely tedious to calculate by hand. Furthermore, my calculator is only able to solve both linear equations and quadratic equations in the form of ax + b and ax^2 + bx + c respectively, where a, b and c are known constants. However, the above equations give me unknowns like nd, na, which I am unable to key it into the calculator. Hence, is there a better way to solve the above equations? Much help appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you have access to a computer, use that. WolframAlpha can solve it directly with your equations.

Without a computer: I would simplify the second equation to
    26-10d + 5d/2 (2n-6) = 726 (using the first equation to get rid of a) and then
    -2d + d (n-3)=140
    d(n-5)=140
    Therefore, d=140/(n-5)

Using this in the last equation gives a cubic equation -> bad. If d is an integer, n has to be at least 145. As 145/2*145 is of the order of 10904, I would try this first. n=145, d=1, a=16/5 leads to a solution, and I think the derivative of the last equation with respect to n will show that this is the only solution.

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can get a quadratic equation in n, by solving the first eqn for a in terms of d, substituting that into the second equation to get a simple linear equation for d in in terms of n. Then, substituting both into the third equation gives a quadratic in n.

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Oh right, it is just a quadratic equation.
    An ugly one, however.

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I must have made a typo when entering the equations before; when I (or Maple) do it again I obtain a very simple linear equation for n (not a quadratic). Solving the first two equations for 'a' and 'd' in terms of n, we have
    d = 140/(n-5), a = 2/5*(13*n-765)/(n-5). Putting these into the third equation gives something surprisingly simple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted