Favorite jazz musicians and songs

  • Thread starter Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
393 replies · 43K views
Senri Kawaguchi, let's see you do this.

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say I have a favorite song or player, but I probably have favorite tunes of many jazz artists.

One I just discovered.

​

George Duke Trio "It's On" Live at Java Jazz Festival 2010​


 
Astronuc said:
I can't say I have a favorite song or player, but I probably have favorite tunes of many jazz artists.

One I just discovered.

​

George Duke Trio "It's On" Live at Java Jazz Festival 2010​



George used to be so dignified and reserved. Frank Zappa took care of that.

To me Christian McBride on ebass is the star.

Here's my fave George Duke thing.

 
Congratulations to familiar faces bolstered by newcomer Anna Matsuoka on piano.

 
It would have to be Duke Ellington and "Take the 'A' Train". I played trombone in the 571st Mo. Ang Band and loved this. NOT EASY!!!!



Duke and "Satin Doll" run a close second.

 
sharps4590 said:
It would have to be Duke Ellington and "Take the 'A' Train". I played trombone in the 571st Mo. Ang Band and loved this. NOT EASY!!!!



Duke and "Satin Doll" run a close second.


Such contrapuntal harmonies have long since disappeared from popular music. That trombone part is supercool. Big band swing is the real jazz for me. Alan Greenspan played sax in a big band. It just isn't economically feasible any more in the West. It lives on in Japan.

Note the double bass drum, though he hardly uses either of them. Back then maybe they would tap the bass drum once per eight bars for emphasis. BOOM! Now it's a very tight drum with sixteenth notes. They could call it the alto drum. Often they use one drum with two beaters, one for each foot. Usually it's too machine gun for me, drummistic shredding say I.

In Satin Doll the Duke quotes Dizzy Gillespie's Salt Peanuts and then Thelonious Monk's Epistrophe.
 
Our band director was a drummer in the Navy during WWII so our high school stage band played a lot of big band swing. Obviously more simple arrangements. The 571st ANG band played the originals and I will freely admit I was often over my head. However, when you play with good musicians you sometimes play over your head.

When real country music disappeared from the popular radio scene I cast about for something to play and reverted to big band/swing and western swing I played 50 years ago. It's rather amazing how many of those great songs can easily translate to "a guy and his guitar". For a few years I played a single at several local senior housing facilities and the Veterans Home in a neighboring town. Then covid hit and it hasn't been the same since.
 
sharps4590 said:
Our band director was a drummer in the Navy during WWII so our high school stage band played a lot of big band swing. Obviously more simple arrangements. The 571st ANG band played the originals and I will freely admit I was often over my head. However, when you play with good musicians you sometimes play over your head.

When real country music disappeared from the popular radio scene I cast about for something to play and reverted to big band/swing and western swing I played 50 years ago. It's rather amazing how many of those great songs can easily translate to "a guy and his guitar". For a few years I played a single at several local senior housing facilities and the Veterans Home in a neighboring town. Then covid hit and it hasn't been the same since.
Bob Wills is still the king…. Saw the Texas Playboys last year, liked them even better than Asleep at the Wheel (likely as the drummer swung harder). My wife’s grandmother was from Turkey and dated Bob briefly



But I also likes me some death metal

 
BWV said:
Bob Wills is still the king

Gotta love those twin fiddles and pre-pedal steel guitar. My kind of guitar pickin' too.

I still play that Waylon Jennings song, along with a few others. We played a lot of ol' Waylon. You can't play Waylon without a phase shifter and that's the only effect I have ever used.

We never saw Bob Wills and I didn't know the band was still around, that's great! We did see Asleep at the Wheel at the Montgomery County fair 30-35 years ago. They opened for Larry Gatlin. Hands down the absolute best concert/show we ever saw is the estate sanctioned Glenn Miller band. Once wasn't enough so we saw them two more times...and I'd go again if they were anywhere close. Incredible.
 
Last edited:
sharps4590 said:
I still play that Waylon Jennings song, along with a few others. We played a lot of ol' Waylon. You can't play Waylon without a phase shifter and that's the only effect I have ever used.
Love that guitar sound he had on Luchenbach
 
sharps4590 said:
Hands down the absolute best concert/show we ever saw is the estate sanctioned Glenn Miller band. Once wasn't enough so we saw them two more times...and I'd go again if they were anywhere close. Incredible.
I think The Rolling Stones should audition young people for a band that would continue the name. Run a licensing/franchise operation that their offspring could inherit.
 
Thanks PF for showing me a great musician I had not listened to until now.
Funny how the Danes clap together at beginning.

 
Quite the band this. Never heard Mr. Mintzer before.



Once JP went nuts it was all over.
 
If you like it smooth you can't beat Osaka Jazz.



This also directed me to the esoteric fact that these were the original lyrics, to be sung by Jean Harlow.

Oh, Lord, if you ain't busy up there
I ask your help with a prayer
So please don't give me the air

Oh, hear me, Lord, I wanta see Garbo in person
With Gable when they're rehearsin'
While some director is cursin'

I wanta open up my eyes at seven
And find I'm standin' in the Golden Gate
And walkin' right into my movie heaven
While some executive tells me I'll be great

Oh, Lord, I know how friendly you are
So, if I'm not goin' too far
Be nice and make me a star


Better lyrics, if you ask me.
 
The bass viol player is terrific.



Onstage bass viol players are always really good in Japan but this guy is outstanding.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and sharps4590


She's from Taiwan. She sings well but the real strength is on guitar.



The sax player is hot stuff. And how about that washboard solo?

This more recent take shows she's polished up her intonation.

 
Last edited:
Wow!! I particularly like her rendition of the Cole Porter classic, that's my kind of guitar playing, just a gal and her guitar without 50 effects pedals.
 


She sings well but the real strength is that trumpet solo.
 


Julie London was so popular in Japan the TV network flew her across the Pacific and back, no small thing in 1962 or whenever. This song is still very popular in Japan as it was the closing theme to possibly the most popular anime ever. Even Robin Williams was a fan.

 
Cybil Shepard sings Blue Moon.



Bruce Willis pretends to play the trumpet. (Trumpet is one of the most difficult instruments.)
 
Hornbein said:
I think The Rolling Stones should audition young people for a band that would continue the name. Run a licensing/franchise operation that their offspring could inherit.
While they did not do this, they did hire young lookalike men to play them in a recent video (In The Stars). I can't imagine that they could get such similar lookalikes so I bet it's AI enhanced. If you are going to do that, why not use AI to make your voice stronger and younger too?
 
Last edited:
Jazz is still popular in Japan. It was even so during World War II.

Momoiro Clover Z started out as a girl group 17 years ago and shows amazing longevity. Typically in a girl group you are replaced once you turn sixteen years old.



A great display of Japanese teeth. Their jaws tend to be narrow and long.
 
Hornbein said:
The bass viol player is terrific.



Onstage bass viol players are always really good in Japan but this guy is outstanding.

You can tell the drummer does not play traditional grip! I've always liked the tune though.