Favorite jazz musicians and songs

  • Thread starter Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
393 replies · 43K views
More cool 60s
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and Hornbein
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody swings more than Oscar.



I like the way he plays this in a straightforward way. Later he got more dramatic and also went for the ultra-high speed thing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Nobody swings more than Oscar.



I like the way he plays this in a straightforward way. Later he got more dramatic and also went for the ultra-high speed thing.

A bench test for me. Bring a date back to the apartment, Oscar goes on.
I have beer, wine and decent food.

Date. "What's this music?" (Scoffing)
"Don't you have any proper music?"
"Beyonce, or I really like the guy who did "like my fire." Will Young, he is great."

Me: "Put down the truffle and Chateau lafite and step away from caviar. You need to leave now please. I'll ring you a cab."

Date. "But.."

Me. " Sorry. It's not me it's you."
 
Not Ilya Serov's best, but the piano player and big band are terrific.

 
In the trans-McCoy Tyner zone. That lick at 2:04 is stunning. My fave musician in the whole world.


 
Miranda said:
You came to my mind -- Chet Baker
I love this song
He's great. Better than Miles say I.
 
Not sure if he is posted here before, but he's genius I think

 
Arjan82 said:
Not sure if he is posted here before, but he's genius I think


He's great (and I'd never heard of him before). My gripe about classical piano players is that most of them don't have any touch, even famous ones. This guy gives each note its own volume and timing, which the best jazz players are able to do. To me the best touch on a piano by anyone was Nat King Cole, who gained fame as a singer. The band has a subtle swing which appeals to me more than playing it straight.

Since 1950 most of the best jazz pianists started out young with classical. McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Hiromi Uehara, Oscar Peterson, Riyoko Takagi, Bill Evans, Art Tatum. Miles Davis brought in a big classical influence too. He went to Julliard and had a strong current of Debussy. I say that modern jazz is a jazz/classical fusion.

Classical musicians abhor improvisation, which seems silly to me because van Beethoven and JS Bach and more were famous for their improvisational ability.

Here's another jazz/classical thang. Great touch. Band isn't much good though.

 
Astronuc said:
Video is not longer available, but my wife happened to find the tune in another video. The woman at the airport was playing a piano adaption of the main theme from the movie Interstellar. Here are a couple of other performances of the tune written by Hans Zimmer and arranged by Patrik Pietschmann .

Interstellar: Main Theme -

Yet another variation on the Hans Zimmer's Interstellar main theme

 


Miku Yonezawa on tenor sax, Etsushi Ogawa [Bigriver] on eguitar in Windham Hill mode. I've seen these two frequently, they tailor their style to the audience that day. I go to the more hardcore places so I've never heard Ogawa-san play Pat Metheny style before. He can do anything.

Tokyo has few steady jazz groups. Usually the ensemble is different for every gig. They read off of charts but sound as though they have been together for years. They can do this because Japan is a nation where millions of people have been reading music since age three. Those who are best at this are very skilled indeed.
 
My fave musician in the world plus a terrific bass viol solo.

 
Saori Yano is/was one of my must-sees. These days she seldom performs, and when she does brings her young daughters along.



Has there ever been a better balladeer. The band here is super too.
 


Chet Baker was a big deal but today is largely forgotten. They were going to make him a movie star but he couldn't deal with it.

Here's Chet's fluegelhorn playing. He's my fave brass guy.



Indonesia's Rio Sidik is possibly in this class but isn't willing to sacrifice for international jazz fame.
 
Last edited:
There hasn't been a new giant of jazz since Jaco and Chick. About time we got another one. Him and Saori Yano.

 
Just discovered this guy. Whoa!



I did lose interest once he sped it up and the mood is lost. But the opening part is still terrific.
 


Encore! (It's the drummer's channel.)



I had the pleasure of hearing this pianist in Osaka.
 
Last edited: