Favorite jazz musicians and songs

  • Thread starter Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
393 replies · 44K views
This is about as jazz as you can get.



 
Physics news on Phys.org
If there were ever a Best Performance By An Insane Homeless Person award this would win.



The band's solos aren't much good so skip forward towards the end.
 
Hornbein said:
If there were ever a Best Performance By An Insane Homeless Person award this would win.



The band's solos aren't much good so skip forward towards the end.

He was a strange one but no one played bass like him.
 
pinball1970 said:
He was a strange one but no one played bass like him.
I was an ebass student in Boston. I went to see Pat Metheny, who was still a student at Berklee, playing with Dave Holland. Dave Holland didn't show up. Instead it was some guy on ebass. After the first tune I said to myself, this man is the best in the world on this instrument. I knew I would never catch up.

Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead had the same experience. He said, "I thought maybe I should take up the drums instead."
 
Hornbein said:
I was an ebass student in Boston. I went to see Pat Metheny, who was still a student at Berklee, playing with Dave Holland. Dave Holland didn't show up. Instead it was some guy on ebass. After the first tune I said to myself, this man is the best in the world on this instrument. I knew I would never catch up.

Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead had the same experience. He said, "I thought maybe I should take up the drums instead."
Who was the "some guy?"
 
pinball1970 said:
Who was the "some guy?"
Jaco Pastorius. It may have been his first appearance in Boston. He had short hair then.
 
Hornbein said:
Patrick Bartley Junior. Best alto sax player on Earth today? Either him or Saori Yano.


I now have this stuck in my head as I listened to again this morning (still not got round to the chords)
It is fantastic.
Harry James amazed me with a solo where he was putting these bends in and vibrato.
I did not think you could do that with brass.
This guy does an incredible slur up in the heavens as well as everything else.
I do not know much about the techniques with woodwind and brass. When it's this good you know it anyway.
 
Hornbein said:
Jaco Pastorius. It may have been his first appearance in Boston. He had short hair then.
I guessed but wanted you to say it. Wow. Lucky to see him I guess!
I never saw my hero play, Buddy Rich.
I think seeing him at 20 would have inspired me to buy a guitar!
 

Peter J. Malmsjö - Autumn wind​




Stroll in Autumn Wind​

 
Astronuc said:

Peter J. Malmsjö - Autumn wind​




Stroll in Autumn Wind​


Just the images make me want to listen to this. It's on my list!
 
Hornbein said:

It warms the cockles of my heart to see young kids playing Jazz.
 
My favorite musician in the whole world. Right now she's playing a solo gig at Hon Atsugi cabin. I went to one of those last year. Best concert I have ever attended. Well worth the five hours on the Metro.

 
Last edited:
My favorite drummer. I had no idea he could do this. He's even better at big band than Senri Kawaguchi.



When I saw Dennis the slickest thing he did was retard with one hand while keeping a steady rhythm with the other.
 
Hornbein said:
My favorite drummer. I had no idea he could do this. He's even better at big band than Senri Kawaguchi.



When I saw Dennis the slickest thing he did was retard with one hand while keeping a steady rhythm with the other.

Horrible snare sound and he murdered Dancing men at the same concert.
 
Hornbein said:
My favorite drummer. I had no idea he could do this. He's even better at big band than Senri Kawaguchi.



When I saw Dennis the slickest thing he did was retard with one hand while keeping a steady rhythm with the other.

Ah he actually goes into Dancing men after this. Yeah, hated it.
 


Like Hiromi Uehara with more swing.
 
Hornbein said:


Like Hiromi Uehara with more swing.

That totally makes up for Dennis Chambers.
 
pinball1970 said:
That totally makes up for Dennis Chambers.
2.40 look at that left hand! Wow. Loved it.
 
pinball1970 said:
That totally makes up for Dennis Chambers.
4.03 Right hand, classical training, finesse. Left hand jazz madness, left foot, steady bass drum, great sound. 24 inch Ludwig. Buddy would approve.
 
Hornbein said:


Like Hiromi Uehara with more swing.

12.48 Her foot is still playing that bass drum. Technique, PURE music, style, humour, talent in spades and I have only watched her for less than 20 minutes!
One of my favourite posts from you on this thread.
Hail Dorothy!