Favorite jazz musicians and songs

  • Thread starter Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
393 replies · 43K views
pinball1970 said:

Why did such music disappear?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
Why did such music disappear?
The same reason progressive rock was attacked by Punk in the mid 1970s. Jazz, ballads, close harmony vocals were probably considered old fashioned by the younger generation who wanted their own music in the 1950s.
They buy records, go to live concerts and generate cash for the industry.
"Mr Sandman" is a nice example, released 1954 and Elvis hit a year later.
Some genres persist and exist alongside new trends but getting a record deal in the "old" style, suddenly gets tougher when then the new is taking over.
Not just for record releases and concerts but films and TV too. Think of all that great Jazz music in the films and TV of the 1940s and 50s and compare it to the 1960s and 70s.
Popular music pervades everything.
 
Hornbein said:
Why did such music disappear?
Not entirely true:


Granted, they're covers (and it's not their normal repertoire)
 
Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. Believe they won a jazz award. Might not be strictly jazz. My favorite: Weathercock.
 
pinball1970 said:
Not just for record releases and concerts but films and TV too. Think of all that great Jazz music in the films and TV of the 1940s and 50s and compare it to the 1960s and 70s.
Popular music pervades everything.
Popular music pervades everything. And not always in a good way. TV shows like this pop music show , American Idol with Simon Cowell and judges seemed to be selecting for and rewarding these half fast/half slow whining styles . And then this show or another similar one even called this slop, I mean style , Soul. Begs the question about the audience too: Have any of them ever heard real soul like Ray Charles?
 
morrobay said:
Popular music pervades everything. And not always in a good way. TV shows like this pop music show , American Idol with Simon Cowell and judges seemed to be selecting for and rewarding these half fast/half slow whining styles . And then this show or another similar one even called this slop, I mean style , Soul. Begs the question about the audience too: Have any of them ever heard real soul like Ray Charles?
Unfortunately, kids growing up only listening to garbage, will develop their musical abilities based on that, in terms of taste and analysis.

Playing would probably not even enter into it because there is little to no playing involved.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astranut and Point Conception
pinball1970 said:
Unfortunately, kids growing up only listening to garbage, will develop their musical abilities based on that, in terms of taste and analysis.

Playing would probably not even enter into it because there is little to no playing involved.
Eight years ago a went to a young people's nightclub in Lansing Mich. Some guy was on stage with a laptop. Every now and then he'd push a button to evoke a drop. That was it.
 
Hornbein said:
Eight years ago a went to a young people's nightclub in Lansing Mich. Some guy was on stage with a laptop. Every now and then he'd push a button to evoke a drop. That was it.
Like this? Talentless garbage

 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
Like this?


Lansing : No singers, no dancers, simpler groove.
 
My favourite Madness track.(jazz!)

 
Last edited:
Jazz ? I don't know about that
Screenshot_2024-12-10-15-47-41-37.jpg
Screenshot_2024-12-10-15-47-55-37.jpg
 
There are others but I will post this last one.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astranut and Point Conception
Hornbein said:
In the 1930's jazz was a big deal in east Asia. I went to a museum in Malaysia that had jazz era 78s. It's still popular in Japan. The stars usually have a jazz number in their live set.



There are a number of big bands and there are still jazz hit songs.




That piano playing would have made Oscar Peterson sweat!
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm a huge fan of 20s-40s jazz. I'm not big into any modern jazz.
1950s is not exactly modern Greg!
 
This is not all "pure" jazz. First few minutes? Absolutely what I love about close harmony jazz. 1977.

 
BadgerBadger92 said:
I have always liked Jazz music (and blues, electric blues to be particular)

Who is your favorite musician and song?

I’ve always liked Herbie Hancock, especially his song “Maiden Voyage.”


Lately I have listened to Bill Charlap. Here are a couple Youtubes of him playing live.



" I was born in love with you" the way he plays it could have been written by Debussy. Here is a Johnny Mathis rendtion.

 
Patrick Bartley Junior. Best alto sax player on Earth today? Either him or Saori Yano.

 
Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Arjan82 and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
That piano playing would have made Oscar Peterson sweat!
Riyoko Takagi is beginning to make it big. This week : first international appearances, in Hong Kong and Beijing. With Patrick Bartley Junior! First concert hall gig in Tokyo too.

Just a couple months ago I saw her in Atsugi Cabin, a dump on the outskirts of Tokyo with twenty-five people packed in there in chairs. No room for tables.

 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Patrick Bartley Junior. Best alto sax player on Earth today? Either him or Saori Yano.


That was brilliant, truly brilliant.
Imagining learning that chart?
What is great is the chords are all noted as well as the sax and are not too nuts/fast, so guarantee I will be chugging along with this when I finish work tonight!
 
lavinia said:
Lately I have listened to Bill Charlap. Here are a couple Youtubes of him playing live.



" I was born in love with you" the way he plays it could have been written by Debussy. Here is a Johnny Mathis rendtion.


1.41 when the groove kicks in "Yesterdays", loved it.
 
pinball1970 said:
That was brilliant, truly brilliant.
Imagining learning that chart?
What is great is the chords are all noted as well as the sax and are not too nuts/fast, so guarantee I will be chugging along with this when I finish work tonight!
Drummer match grip at 1.59? What does he think he is playing? Get outta here! He corrected it 5 seconds later but still!
 
pinball1970 said:
That was brilliant, truly brilliant.
Imagining learning that chart?
What is great is the chords are all noted as well as the sax and are not too nuts/fast, so guarantee I will be chugging along with this when I finish work tonight!
Here's an even better version, if you ask me. The whole band is great.



Though the Blue Note began in the NYC of 1984 --for jazz that's recent--it now has a worldwide reputation, so much so that people will take selfies in front of the door. Today it's a worldwide franchise that includes the most expensive and biggest jazz club in Tokyo. It's the showcase for foreign acts. I seldom go because like all music you are paying for fame, not quality, and it's hard for a foreigner to get tickets. The somehow-not or not-yet famous in tiny clubs are a better deal.

Patrick is secretive about his gigs. I was lucky to find out about one. Maybe the Blue Note wouldn't like it.

Somehow you can't tell in video but he's pretty chubby. 250 lbs. at least. Maybe if you want to play like Bird you have to be like Bird.
 
Last edited:
March Suzuki playing the heck out of a slow blues.