Favorite photographers and photographs?

• Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about favorite photographers and photographs. Some of the mentioned favorites were Robert Frank, William Klein, William Eggleston, Vivian Maier, Gordon Parks, Saul Lieter, Ansel Adams, Henri Cartier Bresson, Lisa Kristine, Alfred Stieglitz, Dorothea Lange, Edward Steichen, Mathew Brady, Clyde Butcher, John Sexton, Andre Kertesz, and Gregory Colbert. One person also mentioned Rio Helmi as a deserving talent.
BadgerBadger92
One of my life’s passions has been art, mainly photography. I’m just wondering who your favorite photographers are and your favorite photographs! Post here

Favorite artists

Mine are:

Robert Frank
William Klein
William Eggleston
Vivian Maier
Gordon Parks
Saul Lieter
Ansel Adams
Henri Cartier Bresson
And my favorite photograph is this one by Robert Frank. Click to make it more clear

Attachments

• F057A2BF-8759-40AD-B019-AFD95F39F85D.jpeg
    F057A2BF-8759-40AD-B019-AFD95F39F85D.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 91
Likes Astronuc, berkeman and pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
Likes Astronuc, fresh_42, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Likes BadgerBadger92
Mathew Brady.

Clyde Butcher
John Sexton
Andre Kertesz

Several of those already mentioned plus Gregory Colbert:
1667681989336.png

1667682010465.png

Attachments

• 1667682021014.png
    1667682021014.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 87
Likes DaveE
As far as talent deserving wider recognition Rio Helmi gets my vote. Indonesian originally from Sumatra.

1. Who is your favorite photographer?

As a scientist, I do not have a favorite photographer. My work focuses on objective data and analysis rather than personal preferences.

2. What makes a photograph stand out to you?

For me, a photograph that stands out is one that effectively captures a moment or emotion, has a strong composition, and tells a story or conveys a message.

3. Can you recommend any must-see photographs or photographers?

There are countless amazing photographers and photographs out there, so it's difficult to recommend just a few. However, some iconic photographers and their works include Ansel Adams' landscape photographs, Dorothea Lange's documentary photography, and Annie Leibovitz's celebrity portraits.

4. How do you determine the quality of a photograph?

As a scientist, I use objective measures such as composition, lighting, technical skill, and storytelling to determine the quality of a photograph. However, beauty and impact are also subjective factors that can contribute to the overall quality of a photograph.

5. How can I improve my photography skills?

Practice, experimentation, and learning from others are key to improving photography skills. Taking courses, workshops, and studying the works of other photographers can also help develop technical and artistic abilities. Additionally, seeking feedback and continuously challenging oneself can lead to growth and improvement in photography.