1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favourite Physics/Maths Related Pictures

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    Combined X-Ray and Optical Images of the Crab Nebula

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's very cool.

4. Jan 30, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is easy. My most favorite physics picture is my avatar, because it gave me my most cited paper to date.

:)

Zz.

5. Jan 30, 2008 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's an interesting avatar, Zz. But what is it - did you 'splain it somewhere on PF?

6. Jan 30, 2008 #5
    Yeh, I'd love to know. Is it in anyway related to a shift in frequency?

NOTE: Vague comment may just be somehow related to picture.

Post Pictures! =]

7. Jan 30, 2008 #6
    [​IMG]
    <Vague comment>

8. Jan 30, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

9. Jan 30, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is an actual dispersion curve of an overdoped high-Tc superconductor obtained directly from an angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy. In the paper, there are 2 other similar curves for the underdoped and optimally-doped compound. The 3 of them together gave a very compelling evolution of the dispersion as one varies the doping value in this material. I have an "attachment" to the overdoped data because (i) I was the one who pushed for a study on this doping range that has been overlooked by people in the field because they thought it was a "conventional" superconductor (it isn't), (ii) I actually made the measurement and (iii) it was my initiative that found us the overdoped material.

I think, to this date, for this Bi2212 material, it is still the most highly overdoped sample ever studied (Tc~51 K). So even almost 8 years after it was published, we still hold that "record" :)

Zz.

10. Jan 30, 2008 #9
  11. Jan 31, 2008 #10
    gotta agree with pooploops. I love that picture.

12. Jan 31, 2008 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?