Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favourite Physics/Maths Related Pictures

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    Combined X-Ray and Optical Images of the Crab Nebula

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's very cool.

4. Jan 30, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is easy. My most favorite physics picture is my avatar, because it gave me my most cited paper to date.

:)

Zz.

5. Jan 30, 2008 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's an interesting avatar, Zz. But what is it - did you 'splain it somewhere on PF?

6. Jan 30, 2008 #5
    Yeh, I'd love to know. Is it in anyway related to a shift in frequency?

NOTE: Vague comment may just be somehow related to picture.

Post Pictures! =]

7. Jan 30, 2008 #6
    [​IMG]
    <Vague comment>

8. Jan 30, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

9. Jan 30, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is an actual dispersion curve of an overdoped high-Tc superconductor obtained directly from an angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy. In the paper, there are 2 other similar curves for the underdoped and optimally-doped compound. The 3 of them together gave a very compelling evolution of the dispersion as one varies the doping value in this material. I have an "attachment" to the overdoped data because (i) I was the one who pushed for a study on this doping range that has been overlooked by people in the field because they thought it was a "conventional" superconductor (it isn't), (ii) I actually made the measurement and (iii) it was my initiative that found us the overdoped material.

I think, to this date, for this Bi2212 material, it is still the most highly overdoped sample ever studied (Tc~51 K). So even almost 8 years after it was published, we still hold that "record" :)

Zz.

10. Jan 30, 2008 #9
  11. Jan 31, 2008 #10
    gotta agree with pooploops. I love that picture.

12. Jan 31, 2008 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?