My Favorite Textbook: STEM Books that Inspire

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary: I remember being really confused and frustrated at first, but I kept going because I wanted to understand the basics. It's a great intro textbook.I like the writing style of the books I mentioned, as well as the level of insight/new perspective they provide.
ergospherical
What's your (single) favourite textbook, and why? Not limited to Physics, but keep it STEM. :smile:

Maybe some relevant criteria:
- nostalgia factor
- scientific accuracy
- writing style
- level of insight / new perspective?
etc.

Likes berkeman, Delta2 and Hamiltonian
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Introduction to Lie Algebras and Representation Theory best. It matches all your criteria: old, accurate, easy to read, a good starting point for research in this area. And most of all: you can use it to look up things without having to read entire chapters first!

However, my heart beats for Jean Dieudonné, Geschichte der Mathematik 1700-1900, Vieweg Verlag 1985. Not really a textbook, but a good source to understand how mathematics evolved. And it has many short biographies of famous mathematicians.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc and ergospherical
Lewis and Randall, as revised by Pitzer and Brewer.

Likes ergospherical
Goodman - Fourier Optics. I don't know why, I guess I liked the subject and it wasn't way too hard to understand. I actually never used it much in my career.

The older edition I had was, apparently, written in 1750, according to Amazon. 18 years before Fourier was born, so maybe we should be calling it the Goodman Transform?

F_optics.jpg

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, jasonRF, ergospherical and 1 other person
The only book I have from my undergraduate days is Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus, by Kenneth Ross. The rest I sold on to the next year's students.

To be honest, I don't have the patience for the excessive rigour these days, but at the time it captured my imagination.

Of the recent books I like Special Relativity by Helliwell. It's the book that got me started learning physics when I retired over seven years ago.

Likes jasonRF, ergospherical and Hamiltonian
Goldstein, Classical Mechanics.
Shankar, Quantum Mechanics, though I started off not liking it until I examined some fine points that fill in gaps left behind in other textbooks in QM.

Intro to General Relativity, Adler, Bazin, Schiffers. (Old treatment but they motivate the mathematics that is just thrown out there for the student in the modern treatments)

In general, I find I like older textbooks because they tend to motivate ideas before presenting them as the more modern treatments do.

An old book that's dear to me is "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

51sXzk+IxoL._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(Although the image is for the 3rd edition, I have only have and have read the 2nd).

The book is targeted not only to electrical engineering students, but also electronic hobbyists. It had a big impact on me. I'll explain.

"The Art of Electronics," or simply, "Horowitz and Hill," as we used to call it, was never a required textbook for any electrical engineering class I took at university, although it was a "recommended" book for many classes.

Whenever a new, practical, electrical circuit came up (such as one with a transistor or two) for analysis in any of our classes, the students fell into one of two groups: those that looked at the circuit with their eyes glazed over, dreading the tedium of putting it into a SPICE model or the anxiety over the thought of painstakingly analyzing it by hand with equations and algebra just to figure out what the circuit's purpose was; and those of us who almost instantly, at a glance, knew what the circuit did and how it did it, just by looking at it. The second group was comprised of the students who had invested in, and read at least a little of Horowitz and Hill. The book is that good.

• Love
Likes Vanadium 50, berkeman and hutchphd
It is impossible for me to identify a single favourite book. A book for me that has a large nostalgia factor, and that I still like, is Mathematical Physics by Robert Geroch. This book, in the free vector space (with suitable inner product) on the set of books, is in the orthogonal complement of the space of books with similar titles. It starts with a brief introduction to category theory!

Likes robphy
George Jones said:
It is impossible for me to identify a single favourite book. A book for me that has a large nostalgia factor, and that I still like, is Mathematical Physics by Robert Geroch. This book, in the free vector space (with suitable inner product) on the set of books, is in the orthogonal complement of the space of books with similar titles. It starts with a brief introduction to category theory!
It was surprising and disappointing that there wasn't any differential geometry in it.
Relatively recently, some of Geroch's lecture notes that were [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]-ed are now available
http://www.minkowskiinstitute.org/mip/books/ln.html

Several that I like a lot. If I had to pick. Tristan Needham's Complex analysis.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Although the image is for the 3rd edition
How could it possibly be improved? :wink:

As I told a EE who worked for me once: "I don't understand transistors. I understand Transistor Man"

• Haha
Likes collinsmark
It's a bit hard to pick a favorite. The only textbook I've worked through 75% or more is Physics by Serway.

Elementary Linear Algebra by Anton introduces the subject well. Quickly became one of my favorite courses.

I am enjoying A Treatise on Integral Calculus, Vol. 1 and 2. About 2000 pages of how to solve different integrals and lots of fun exercises.

1. What makes "My Favorite Textbook" stand out among other STEM books?

"My Favorite Textbook" stands out because it not only covers the fundamental concepts of STEM subjects, but also provides real-world examples and applications that make the material more engaging and applicable to everyday life. It also includes interactive activities and exercises that encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Is "My Favorite Textbook" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "My Favorite Textbook" is suitable for all ages, from elementary school students to adults. The material is presented in a way that is easy to understand and can be enjoyed by readers of all levels.

3. Are there any additional resources or online materials that come with "My Favorite Textbook"?

Yes, "My Favorite Textbook" comes with a companion website that includes supplementary materials such as practice quizzes, interactive simulations, and additional readings. These resources can help reinforce the concepts learned in the textbook and provide a more comprehensive learning experience.

4. Can "My Favorite Textbook" be used as a standalone resource for self-study?

Yes, "My Favorite Textbook" can be used as a standalone resource for self-study. The book is designed to be self-explanatory and includes clear explanations and examples. However, it is always beneficial to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor when studying independently.

5. Are there any plans for future editions or updates to "My Favorite Textbook"?

At the moment, there are no plans for future editions or updates to "My Favorite Textbook". However, the author regularly reviews and updates the material to ensure it remains relevant and up-to-date with the latest developments in STEM fields.