Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fe2O3 Thermal Decomposition Question

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    Hi, I've been asked to heat a sample that contains Fe2O3, amongst some other things, to a temperature where Fe2O3 will decompose. I am unable to find the temperature at which I would need to heat the sample and I'm not entirely convinced this is actually possible with the equipment I have available. However, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could provide me with this temperature and if possible a reference to go with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://web.mit.edu/2.813/www/readings/Ellingham_diagrams.pdf
    The Ellingham diagrams in the above link suggest that ##Fe_2O_3## decomposes into ##Fe_3O_4## and ##O_2## at around 1500°C. Further decomposition to iron metal probably requires several thousand degrees. If "some other things" include, e.g., carbon or another reducing agent, then you can get a redox reaction to happen at a low(-ish, but still probably around 1000°C) temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted