Feeling insignificant after watching space movies

In summary, the conversation discusses the different reactions people have to movies or shows about the universe, with some feeling insignificant and others feeling a sense of wonder. The mention of the Monty Python Universe Song and the Total Perspective Vortex from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy highlights the idea of standing on a planet that is constantly evolving and revolving, and the search for intelligent life in the vastness of space.
HomogenousCow
I've had several people tell me that they feel insignificant after watching a show or movie on the universe. Personally I don't understand this, instead of feeling insignificant I feel a sense of wonder.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yeah, I feel the same. It feels fascinating after watching movies related to space, time etc etc... Interstellar was very good. What do you think?

Google Monty Python Universe Song.

Likes davenn
Jobrag said:
Google Monty Python Universe Song.
Why?? What's so special about it??

Juuuuuust re
member that you're standing
on a planet that's evolving
and revolving
at a thousand miles an hour...

manogyana25 said:
Yeah, I feel the same. It feels fascinating after watching movies related to space, time etc etc... Interstellar was very good. What do you think?
I wonder if it is related to the disparity between those who feel they have no control over the universe, and those who have the passion to learn and create.

Well, I'm on the side of learning and creating. .

DaveC426913 said:
Juuuuuust re
member that you're standing
on a planet that's evolving
and revolving
at a thousand miles an hour...

And pray that there's intelligent life
somewhere out in space
'cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth

manogyana25 said:
Why?? What's so special about it??
Have you not listened to it?

Jobrag said:
Have you not listened to it?
I think it stands to reason that s/he has not.

The Universe Song is the musical embodiment of the thread title.

The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Total_Perspective_Vortex is another embodiment...

Likes davenn

1. Why do I feel insignificant after watching space movies?

Space movies often depict vast and awe-inspiring images of the universe, which can make us feel small and insignificant in comparison. They also explore the unknown and infinite possibilities of space, which can make us question our place in the universe.

2. Is it normal to feel insignificant after watching space movies?

Yes, it is a common reaction to feel insignificant after watching space movies. It is a natural response to be in awe of the vastness and complexity of the universe, and to feel small in comparison.

3. Can watching space movies affect my mental health?

While the feeling of insignificance may be unsettling for some, it is not likely to have a significant impact on mental health. However, if you find that it is causing distress or anxiety, it is important to talk to a mental health professional.

4. How can I cope with feeling insignificant after watching space movies?

One way to cope with these feelings is to remind yourself that your existence is meaningful and important in its own way. You can also try to focus on the beauty and wonder of the universe rather than its vastness and your perceived insignificance.

5. Can watching space documentaries or educational videos help with these feelings?

Yes, watching documentaries or educational videos about space can help put things into perspective and provide a deeper understanding of our place in the universe. It can also be a reminder of the amazing achievements and advancements of humanity in exploring and understanding the vastness of space.