Tesla": A Movie Review of the Unusual

In summary: FX-S1jzcIn summary, the conversation discusses the movie "Tesla", starring Ethan Hawke, which is a historical fiction with an unusual style. The film has a narrator who is JP Morgan's daughter and Tesla's girlfriend, and includes modern elements such as a modern soundtrack and karaoke of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World". The conversation also mentions the movie "The Current War" as a better alternative. The conversation also includes a link to the Wikipedia page and trailer for the movie.
russ_watters
Mentor
Anybody see the movie "Tesla" staring Ethan Hawke? It's...interesting. I'm almost finished with it, but got so angry I had to post this for validation...

As historical fiction goes, it seems pretty good. But the movie's style is... unusual. It has a narrator who is JP Morgan's daughter and Tesla's girlfriend(?), who jumps back and forth through the fourth wall and time to talk to us. Ok. And some of the "sets" make it look like a play, acted in front of a painted backdrop of a historical photo. Weird, but whatever. And the soundtrack is oddly modern or maybe has gotten more modern throughout the movie? Whatever, it's dumb but people do that now.

But where I draw the line and hold back the urge to snap the disc in half is when he starts doing Karaoke of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears at what I can only hope is the end of the movie (it's on pause while I write this). I mean, it's a great song, but...what? Seriously, WTH am I watching??!

4/10, would recommend "The Current War" instead.

Edit:
Oh, you don't believe me? Well believe this, Pierpont!:

Tesla.jpg

Edit2:
Oh, awesome, it's a full-fledged music video. And nope, the movie's not even over.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, you posted a video, but not a link to what you are watching about Tesla? Or did I miss the link to the Tesla thing? You know how big a fan I am of Tesla...

berkeman said:
Wait, you posted a video, but not a link to what you are watching about Tesla? Or did I miss the link to the Tesla thing? You know how big a fan I am of Tesla...
It's a movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(2020_film)

Trailer:

Last edited:

1. What is the plot of "Tesla"?

The movie "Tesla" is a biographical drama that follows the life and work of inventor and engineer Nikola Tesla. It explores his struggles and successes as he revolutionizes the fields of electricity and wireless communication.

2. Who stars in "Tesla"?

Ethan Hawke stars as Nikola Tesla, with Kyle MacLachlan as Thomas Edison, and Eve Hewson as Anne Morgan. Other notable cast members include Jim Gaffigan, Hannah Gross, and Josh Hamilton.

3. Is "Tesla" historically accurate?

While the movie takes creative liberties, it is largely based on historical events and the real-life figures involved. Director Michael Almereyda has stated that he wanted to capture the essence of Tesla's life and work, rather than create a strictly factual account.

4. What themes are explored in "Tesla"?

The movie delves into themes of innovation, ambition, and the struggle for recognition. It also touches on the relationship between Tesla and Edison, and the societal pressures faced by Tesla as an immigrant and outsider in the United States.

5. Is "Tesla" worth watching?

That ultimately depends on personal preference, but the movie has received generally positive reviews and has been praised for its unique storytelling and strong performances. It offers a thought-provoking look at one of the most influential figures in scientific history.