Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a good sci-fi movie to watch

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    I'm actually running out of sci-fi movies to watch.
    I like sci-fi movies that keep their feet on the ground with science, don't mash much with fantasy (wizards, etc...) and at the same time spur "What If..." thought or make you pause and hop to the web to look something up.
    for example:

Flat World was a good animated movie that made me think of how 4+ dimensional objects may appear to us from our 3 dimensional perspective.

Gravity made me look up the difference in orbits between the Chinese space station Tiangong and the ISS.

THX1138 made me wonder how much of our personality is dependent on our environment.

(Primer i had to watch twice and have mixed feelings about)

To me, good Sci-Fi movies keep my attention and also spur thought and research.
    Know any that i may not of seen?

(most under-rated sci-fi series ever: "The Starlost")

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2
    My choice of the greatest Sci/Fi movies are......
    2001: A Space Odyssey:
    The Day the Earth Stood Still: 1953 version.
    War of the Worlds: 1953 version.
    Mission to Mars:
    Forbidden Planet:
    Gravity:
    Interstellar:

4. Feb 22, 2017 #3
    bummer, Marou, i already saw all of those.
    Good suggestions, though, i liked them all :biggrin:

5. Feb 22, 2017 #4
  6. Feb 22, 2017 #5
    Yeap. I've seen way too many Sci-Fi movies.
    I think the only thing I've seen more than Sci-Fi is PBS documentaries.

7. Feb 22, 2017 #6
    There is the old TV series 'Twilight zone'.
    Yes it s old, but quite a lot of the episodes are thought provoking stuff.
    (While admittedly there are other ones that can only be described as silly.)

8. Feb 22, 2017 #7
    I was only a young teenager at the time, but I loved "The Outer Limits" as silly as some episodes were......:biggrin:

9. Feb 22, 2017 #8
    I've seen every episode of every iteration of the twilight zone (it was rebooted twice, and the movie).
    even the Lost Classics of Rob Sterling.
    I've seen every Outer Limits and Night Gallery and Amazing Stories.

I once had a job where the most important duty was attendance.
    I would pass the time by watching PBS and Sci-Fi.
    I held that job for over 6 years with 12 hour grave shifts.
    That's why it's so hard for me to find new material to be fascinated by.

It's not the answer to your place in the universe that is intriguing and fulfilling,
    it's the quest for discovery itself.

10. Feb 22, 2017 #9
    Who do I contact to see if your previous job is currently vacant and so requires a dedicated worker?

11. Feb 22, 2017 #10
    It was Security.
    A lot of security jobs just need a warm body.
    for example, construction sites need a physical person on the property 24/7 until fire systems are installed.
    Often they pay a security agency to provide a guard even if there is nothing to actually guard.
    The down side is today you can have a job just being a warm body, and the next day you can be the guard outside a convenience store at 2am because they've been robbed 4 times in one week.
    and they all pay the same. In my state it's minimum wage.
    But it put bread on the table during the financial crash.

four years.
    But on the bright side, at least you know what the Chew is serving on tomorrows episode. Doesn't it smell
    great when they cook on TV?

12. Feb 26, 2017 #11
    Have you seen "Strange Days" by James Cameron?

Have you seen "Unbreakable" by M Night Shyamalan?

Have you seen "Moon" starring Sam Rockwell?

Have you seen "Pacific Rim" by Guillermo Del Toro?

Have you seen "The Thing" by John Carpenter?

13. Feb 27, 2017 #12
    Yes to all of those.
    In a way i kind of saw the Moon's surprising twist coming, but it was still very well done and under-appreciated (probably due to lack of advertising)

Pacific Rim, although just an excuse to have giant robots fighting Voltron style, i found also to be under-appreciated by the public because it's story lines were stronger than expected and it didn't skip on the plot or eye-candy budget.

14. Feb 27, 2017 #13
    I recommend Creation of the Humanoids (1962) .

The old TV series Science Fiction Theater is also good. You can see where lots of the ideas came from that were in later series.

15. Feb 27, 2017 #14
    Mystery Science Theater 3000 has a great deal of quality syfy.

Don't ask me to define "quality", please.

16. Feb 27, 2017 #15
    Red dwarf?.

17. Feb 28, 2017 #16
    I have not even heard of any of these, except for The Thing, and I haven't seen that one.

However, John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is one of the few movies where I left the theater -- at night of course -- having had a genuinely scary experience. I don't want to spoil the plot. So I'll just say that one scene towards the end seemed uncannily real. Something to do with tachyons.

18. Feb 28, 2017 #17
  19. Feb 28, 2017 #18
    I haven't watched it yet, but it's been on my list for some time.

That reminds me, Vincent Price stars in one of my favorite sci-fi movies, Scream and Scream Again. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are also in that one. It's a real gem.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  20. Feb 28, 2017 #19
    One of my favorite episodes in this series, Valley of the Shadow, actually has a physics theme of sorts. It's fitting that James Doohan (Mr. Scott) has a minor role.

21. Feb 28, 2017 #20
    I was thirteen when it came out. It was dark when I left the theater. I walked home through a graveyard. At about 50 mph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted