Feeling like I forget everything I learn

• Thread starter dumbperson
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker, a third-year physics student, is concerned about their ability to retain knowledge and skills from their first year of studies. They have noticed a decline in their ability to solve problems in classical electrodynamics and are considering taking a break before starting a Master's degree. The speaker is reassured that this is a normal occurrence and that practicing can help regain forgotten knowledge. However, they are also warned that if they do not continue their studies, they may start to forget what they have learned after five years.
dumbperson
hey,

I'm a 3rd(last) year physics student.

I have the feeling that I am forgetting everything that I learn very rapidly. For example, in my 1st year
I had things like classical mechanics, optics and classical electrodynamics. At the time I understood these subjects pretty well, and aced them(I even have a 4.0 GPA). But when I look at classical electrodynamics(or whatever) problems that the 1st year students get right now , I cannot solve them anymore. I just feel stupid all the time (see my name).

This is making me think about taking a break after I graduate, to re-learn or at least re-read the material before I start a Master.

Is this normal? do you guys have this too?

(sorry if my English is bad, It's not my 1st language)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is normal. The effect never goes away. Basically what you don't practice you forget but once you start practicing some of it comes back or it tickles your brain to say wait I think I forgot to do something here.

In my case, I remember my HS math upto trig pretty well, Calculus, Linear Algebra and DE are a lot fuzzier where I can read and understand what I see but couldn't reproduce it to save myself. I've been trying to recover my Vector Calculus and Tensor Analysis and learn Differential Forms for the first time after more than a few decades from school. My studies are sporadic but online teaching videos help like Khans Academy or MathIsPower4U.

A word of caution should you decide not to go to grad school then remember you have upto five years before you start to seriously forget what you learned. The forgetting is last course first order. This is only a rule of thumb so consider it as needed.

1. Why do I feel like I forget everything I learn?

Forgetting information is a natural part of the learning process. It is important to understand that our brains have a limited capacity for storing information, and it is normal for some information to be forgotten over time. Additionally, factors such as stress, lack of sleep, and distractions can also contribute to forgetfulness.

2. How can I improve my memory and retention of information?

There are several techniques that can help improve memory and retention. Some effective strategies include actively engaging with the material, using mnemonic devices, practicing retrieval of information, and getting enough sleep and exercise. It is also important to create a conducive learning environment free of distractions.

3. Is forgetting information a sign of a learning disability?

Forgetting information alone is not necessarily a sign of a learning disability. However, if you consistently struggle with retaining information and it significantly impacts your academic or daily life, it may be worth seeking an evaluation from a medical professional to determine if a learning disability is present.

4. Can constantly forgetting things be a sign of a larger health issue?

In some cases, forgetfulness can be a symptom of a larger health issue, such as dementia or a neurological disorder. If you are experiencing severe or persistent forgetfulness, it is important to consult with a medical professional for an evaluation and proper diagnosis.

5. How can I differentiate between normal forgetfulness and a more serious memory problem?

Normal forgetfulness is a common experience and typically does not significantly impact daily life. However, if you are consistently forgetting important information and it interferes with your ability to function, it may be a sign of a more serious memory problem. It is important to consult with a medical professional for an evaluation and proper diagnosis.