Feliway Diffuser - stops cats from spraying

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary,-The Feliway pheromone diffuser was recommended by our vet to help stop our older male cat from spraying.-After a month or so of using the diffuser, when it ran out of pheromone, Isaac began to spray again.-Feliway claims that the pheromone in the diffuser is the same pheromone that is used to mark territory.-There is no detectable odor, and Isaac seems to love the diffuser.-You can use Feliway to help stop behavior problems in cats, such as sleeping on the floor, by psychological priming.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am simply amazed by this product - The Feliway pheromone diffuser
http://www.feliway.com/us

It was recommended by our vet and appears to be 100% effective for our latest problem cat. Our older male cat had started spraying in the house. Over the last twenty years, we have tried any number of products that are supposed to stop this behavior - TOO MANY - but none worked for any cat. We plugged this thing in and the spraying stopped immediately! After a month or so, when the diffuser ran dry, it couldn't have more than a day or two before Isaac sprayed again. We WILL be getting a refill unit today [they were sold out yesterday].

Also, the cats seem to love it. Isaac started sleeping on the floor next to the diffuser.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Intersting. Is the claim about Pheromonatherapy accurate?

What is Feliway®?
Feliway® is a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone, used by cats to mark their territory as safe and secure.

By mimicking the cat’s natural facial pheromones, Feliway® creates a state of familiarity and security in the cat's local environment.

As a result, Feliway® can be used to help comfort and reassure cats while they cope with a challenging situation and help prevent or reduce the stress caused by a change in their environment.

The development of Feliway®created a new field in veterinary medicine: Pheromonatherapy.
http://www.feliway.com/us/To-know-everything-about-Feliway/What-is-Feliway-R [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea how it works, but it seems odd to say it is the pheromone they use to mark their territory. Wouldn't that be cat-specific? I mean, one cat marks his territory to tell the next to stay away; it's not all the same identical scent. Maybe it's the other way around, to tell them it's already the property of some other cat, and keep their spray off?

Does it have any smell you can notice?

Moonbear said:
I have no idea how it works, but it seems odd to say it is the pheromone they use to mark their territory. Wouldn't that be cat-specific? I mean, one cat marks his territory to tell the next to stay away; it's not all the same identical scent. Maybe it's the other way around, to tell them it's already the property of some other cat, and keep their spray off?

Does it have any smell you can notice?

There is no detectable odor; at least, not that we can tell. I'm not sure what Feliway claims in this regard. Tsu is hypersensitive to smells so I would expect her to notice if there was even a slight odor. There is also no doubt that Isaac loves it. He actually started sleeping on the floor right next to the outlet.

This is supposed to be effective for all sorts of behavior problems.

Last edited:
Come up with a product that works on teenagers and we'll have our first trillionaire. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Come up with a product that works on teenagers and we'll have our first trillionaire. :biggrin:

You will just have to find solution to the "sleeping on the floor" part.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

Borek said:
You will just have to find solution to the "sleeping on the floor" part.

LOL! :rofl:

I guess there might be a difference between how it really works and how it's marketed too. That's one good thing about products aimed toward pets...they don't understand what the product is supposed to do, so aren't as susceptible to the placebo effect as with products aimed toward people. It's a lot more convincing when it works for a cat than a person.

Moonbear said:
LOL! :rofl:

I guess there might be a difference between how it really works and how it's marketed too. That's one good thing about products aimed toward pets...they don't understand what the product is supposed to do, so aren't as susceptible to the placebo effect as with products aimed toward people. It's a lot more convincing when it works for a cat than a person.

So you are suggesting that with the proper psychological priming, this may work for teenagers? Brilliant!

Well, our problem child started spraying in the bedroom; at the opposite end of the house. We put another Feliway unit in the bedroom and the spraying stopped immediately.

We don't expect Isaac to last much longer, but we hate to have him put down before his time and this had to stop now.

Poor Isaac, if he was in better health, I'd suggest neutering, thankfully that stops spraying.

Evo said:
Poor Isaac, if he was in better health, I'd suggest neutering, thankfully that stops spraying.

He is neutered. We find that male cats will sometimes do this when they get old, and esp when they are sick. Einstein did the same thing when he got old. IIRC, Dirt II did as well [not sure which cat anymore].

Ivan Seeking said:
He is neutered. We find that male cats will sometimes do this when they get old, and esp when they are sick. Einstein did the same thing when he got old. IIRC, Dirt II did as well [not sure which cat anymore].
You had a cat named Dirt II? :tongue:

Well, in tht case, I'm glad the diffuser works.

Evo said:
You had a cat named Dirt II? :tongue:

Well, in tht case, I'm glad the diffuser works.

We had Dirt [1], Dirt II, and Dirt the Turd.

Ivan Seeking said:
We had Dirt [1], Dirt II, and Dirt the Turd.
:rofl:

I guess I should clarify that when I said that Einstein sprayed in the house when he got old, I meant our cat, not Albert.

What is Feliway Diffuser and how does it work?

Feliway Diffuser is a product that is designed to help stop cats from spraying. It contains synthetic pheromones that mimic the natural calming pheromones produced by cats. These pheromones help to create a sense of familiarity and safety for cats, which can reduce the urge to spray.

Is Feliway Diffuser safe for my cat?

Yes, Feliway Diffuser is completely safe for cats. The synthetic pheromones used in the product are the same ones that cats naturally produce, so they will not harm your cat in any way.

How do I use Feliway Diffuser?

Feliway Diffuser is very easy to use. Simply plug it into an electrical outlet in the room where your cat spends the most time. The diffuser will release the synthetic pheromones into the air, creating a calming environment for your cat.

Will Feliway Diffuser stop my cat from spraying immediately?

No, Feliway Diffuser is not a quick fix solution. It may take a few weeks for your cat to respond to the synthetic pheromones and for their spraying behavior to decrease. It is important to be patient and consistent with the use of the diffuser.

Can Feliway Diffuser be used for other behavioral issues in cats?

While Feliway Diffuser is primarily designed to help with spraying behavior, it may also be helpful for other behavioral issues such as scratching, hiding, and aggression. However, it is always best to consult with your veterinarian for specific behavior concerns.