Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermion Anticommutation Relations (nightmare!)

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    Hi. I've been thinking about this proof for over a day now and have reached the point where I can't come up with any new approaches!

I'm trying to prove equation (5.15) in these notes:
    http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf

Just above eqn (5.15) we are told that the proof should be exactly the same as the proof of (5.5) which is done on p107.

I completely understand the proof on p107 for the commutation relations.
    When trying to prove the anticommutation relations, the only difference is going to be a minus sign on the second term.

In other words, the proof is the same as on p107 except we have

[tex] \{ \psi( \vec{x}), \psi^\dagger \vec{y} \} = \displaystyle\sum_{s} \in \frac{d^3p}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_{\vec{p}}} \left( u^s( \vec{p} \bar{u}^s(\vec{p}) \gamma^0 e^{i \vec{p} \cdot ( \vec{x}-\vec{y})} + v^s(\vec{p}) \bar{v}^s(\vec{p}) \gamma^0 e^{-i \vec{p} \cdot (\vec{x} - \vec{y})} \right) [/tex]

This means that if we follow through the next few steps on p107 we arrive at

[tex] \int \frac{d^3p}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{1}{E_{\vec{p}}} ( p_i \gamma^i + m ) \gamma^0 e^{i \vec{p} \cdot ( \vec{x} - \vec{y} )}[/tex]

and as far as I can tell there is no way to make that into a delta function!!!!!

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Do you really trust this reference?? Because other places give different results!

For a scalar field the commutator is usually quoted as [..x, y are 4-vectors..]

[φ(x), φ*(y)] = iΔ(x - y)

where Δ is the "invariant delta function", defined by

iΔ(x) = (2π)-3∫d3k/2ω [e-ik·x - eik·x]

Δ(x) vanishes for equal times, and its time derivative at equal times is a 3-dimensional δ function: (∂Δ(x)/∂x0)|(x0 = 0) = - δ3(x). Notice it is not true that [φ(x), φ*(y)] at equal times is a δ-function.. you must include the time derivative.

The corresponding relation for Dirac spinor fields is

{ψ(x), ψ†(y)} = -iS(x - y)

where

S(x - y) = (iγμμ + m)Δ(x - y)

4. Sep 7, 2012 #3
    I think relations (5.15) are correct (although I'm not sure for the (2π)[itex]^{3}[/itex] that probably depends on the normalization of u and v spinors). I think you can extract an expression for c and b operators using the spinor scalar product. For example, if I'm not wrong, the following equation should be true:
    $$b^{r}_{\vec{p}}=\int{d^3x U^{\dagger}(r\vec{p})\psi(x)}$$
    where:

$$U(r\vec{p})=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2E_{\vec{p}}}}u^s(\vec{p})e^{-ipx}$$

When you have extract both b and c you can anticommutate them and using the anticommutation relations on ψ and ψ[itex]^{+}[/itex] you should reach your goal.

I hope I'm not wrong, as I'm using my old notes and there should be something different from yours but I think the main idea should be ok.

5. Sep 7, 2012 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Tong's proof is trying to go the other way. He assumes (5.15) and tries to prove (5.14). But as I indicated above, (5.14) is wrong. {ψ(x), ψ†(y)} is not equal to a delta function.

6. Sep 7, 2012 #5
    Maybe I'm missing something. Is ψ the fermionic field? If so, I'm quite sure that 5.14 are correct. I think you got wrong when you said that:

$$[\phi(x),\phi^\dagger(y)]=i\Delta(x-y)$$

as the correct relations, for scalar fields, should be:

$$[\phi(x),\dot{\phi}^\dagger(y)]=i\delta^3(\vec{x}-\vec{y})$$
    and
    $$[\phi(x),\phi(y)]=i\Delta(x-y)$$.

And the same thing is valid for fermionic fields. You can see for example Mandl-Shaw "Quantum Field Theory" equations 3.25 and 3.42.
    I hope I'm not wrong, if so I'm sorry :biggrin:

7. Sep 7, 2012 #6

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Einj, The commutation relations for the Klein-Gordon field are slightly different depending on whether the field is real or complex.

For a real field, [φ(x), φ(y)] = -iΔ(x - y) (Sorry, I had the sign wrong.)

Whereas for a complex scalar field, [φ(x), φ*(y)] = -iΔ(x - y)

Some references call the invariant function D(x -y) instead of Δ(x - y).

Note that your first two equations are equivalent. You can get the second one by taking the time derivative wrt y of the first one, since the equal-time time derivative of Δ(x - y) is δ3(x - y).

No, for a Dirac field ψ(x) there's an additional factor: S(x - y) = (iγμμ + m)Δ(x - y). The expression derived by the OP has this factor in it.

8. Sep 7, 2012 #7
    Ok, I knew that (and of course I said the same thing because S is quite the equivalent of Δ but for fermionic field). However, what should be the fermonic equivalent of my second equation?

9. Sep 7, 2012 #8

Bill_K

Science Advisor

One big difference between S and Δ: S is a 4 x 4 matrix!

To get a delta function out of Δ, you need a time derivative. But in the Dirac case, the time derivative is already there, thanks to the (iγμμ + m) in front. At equal times, Δ(x - y) is zero, so all the terms in the definition of S drop out except for the time derivative. You get

{ψ(x), ψ†(y)}|(at x0 = y0) = - γ00Δ(x - y) = γ0 δ3(x - y)

(To leave no doubt about the notation, ψ† is what appears in the bilinear covariants, e.g. jμ = eψ†γμψ.) And so, if you'd rather, using ψ† = ψ*γ0,

{ψ(x), ψ*(y)}|(at x0 = y0) = δ3(x - y)

Maybe this is what Tong had in mind when he wrote (5.14).

10. Sep 7, 2012 #9
    Ok, understood. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

11. Sep 8, 2012 #10
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook