Ferrofluids: do they produce a force?

• Thread starter amonvi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of smart fluids, such as magnetorheological and electrorheological fluids, and ferrofluids in various applications. The main focus is on whether these fluids are able to produce force through movement. While magnetorheological fluids are being used in dampers and can alter their viscosity to produce a damping force, it is unclear if they can achieve steady-state flow. Ferrofluids, on the other hand, are superparamagnetic and behave differently from magnetorheological fluids. They are primarily used for their ability to suspend nanoparticles and have different applications. Further research is recommended, such as consulting R E Rosensweig's book "Ferrohydrodynamics".
amonvi
Hi, everybody,

I am doing a thesis related to fluids and I have thought about smart fluids (magnetorheological and electrorheological fluids) and ferrofluids. I've read a lot about and I know well their special characteristics. However there's something I can find nowhere: do they produce force by moving?

I mean. I know nowadays dampers formed with magnetorheological fluids are being strongly developed, and of course they produce an important damping force by altering their viscosity. And I have also read, in case of ferrofluids, that the flow of a ferrofluid can be achieved at a certain velocities just by changing the field applied. But, do this movement produce force? In the case that a fluid accelerated by changing fields in an specific ferrofluid devise would be guided into a conduct with a piston, would this piston be displaced?

This information is something I don't get to find and it's really relevant to my thesis. Thank you everybody for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
They have to exert a force just by moving. Even a wee ripple on the surface has to displace air and fight gravity as it travels along, which is work. You probably have a much better idea than me as to how much work can be extracted from the stuff, but it must bear some relationship to the amount of electricity or magnetic flux applied to it. It might not be linear, though.

I thought this was a dumb question until I thought a little more. What tripped me up was the sentence "...the flow of a ferrofluid can be achieved at a certain velocities just by changing the field applied."

If the fluid is given energy by the field, then the field must lose energy. My understanding is that magnetorheological fluids only change their rheological properties as a function of the field- they do not achieve steady-state flow. I'm picturing something like this:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/demonstrationsexperiments/ss/liquidmagnet.htm

Here, someone has played around with a time-varying field:

http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/04/19/ferrofluid-morpho-towers-two-standing-spirals/

Looks like any induced flow is unsteady, but no details were given...

Andy Resnick said:
...My understanding is that magnetorheological fluids only change their rheological properties as a function of the field- they do not achieve steady-state flow...
Ferrofluids behave differently than magnetorheological fluids.
Ferrofluids are Superparamagnetic: http://www.funmat.uio.no/Uorganisk/research_topics/nanotubes_c.html
From Wiki:
"The particles in a ferrofluids primarily consist of nanoparticles which are suspended by Brownian motion and generally will not settle under normal conditions. As a result, these two fluids have very different applications".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid

See if your library has a copy of R E Rosensweigs "Ferrohydrodynmics": https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486678342/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a ferrofluid?

A ferrofluid is a liquid that contains tiny magnetic particles, typically iron oxide, that can be manipulated by a magnetic field.

2. How do ferrofluids produce a force?

Ferrofluids produce a force through the interaction between the magnetic particles and an external magnetic field. When a magnet is brought near the ferrofluid, the magnetic particles align with the magnetic field, causing the fluid to move and create a force.

3. Can ferrofluids be used for propulsion?

Yes, ferrofluids can be used for propulsion in certain applications. For example, in microfluidic devices, the force produced by a ferrofluid can be used to move the fluid through channels and control its flow.

4. Are ferrofluids dangerous?

Ferrofluids are generally considered safe to handle, but caution should be taken as they can be corrosive and stain surfaces. Ingestion or inhalation of ferrofluid should be avoided as it can be harmful to health.

5. What are the potential uses of ferrofluids?

Ferrofluids have a wide range of potential uses, including in medical diagnostics, robotics, and as a coolant in electronic devices. They are also used in speakers and as a sealant in hard drives.